This is the GNS3 server repository.
In addition of Python dependencies listed in a section below, other software may be required, recommended or optional.
- uBridge is required, it interconnects the nodes.
- Dynamips is required for running IOS routers (using real IOS images) as well as the internal switches and hubs.
- VPCS is recommended, it is a builtin node simulating a very simple computer to perform connectitivy tests using ping, traceroute etc.
- Qemu is strongly recommended on Linux, as most node types are based on Qemu, for example Cisco IOSv and Arista vEOS.
- libvirt is recommended (Linux only), as it’s needed for the NAT cloud.
- Docker is optional (Linux only), some nodes are based on Docker.
- mtools is recommended to support data transfer to/from QEMU VMs using virtual disks.
- i386-libraries of libc and libcrypto are optional (Linux only), they are only needed to run IOU based nodes.
master is the next stable release, you can test it in your day to day activities. Bug fixes or small improvements pull requests go here.
2.x (2.3 for example)
Next major release
Never use this branch for production. Pull requests for major new features go here.
GNS3 is perhaps packaged for your distribution:
Linux (Debian based)
The following instructions have been tested with Ubuntu and Mint. You must be connected to the Internet in order to install the dependencies.
- Python 3.6, setuptools and the ones listed here
The following commands will install some of these dependencies:
sudo apt-get install python3-setuptools
Finally these commands will install the server as well as the rest of the dependencies:
cd gns3-server-master sudo python3 setup.py install gns3server
To run tests use:
For development you can run the GNS3 server in a container
Run as daemon (Unix only)
You will find init sample scripts for various systems inside the init directory.
- –daemon: start process as a daemon
- –log logfile: store output in a logfile
- –pid pidfile: store the pid of the running process in a file and prevent double execution
All init scripts require the creation of a GNS3 user. You can change it to another user.
sudo adduser gns3
For ubuntu < 15.04
You need to copy init/gns3.conf.upstart to /etc/init/gns3.conf
sudo chown root /etc/init/gns3.conf sudo service gns3 start
You need to copy init/gns3.service.systemd to /lib/systemd/system/gns3.service
sudo chown root /lib/systemd/system/gns3.service sudo systemctl start gns3
Please use our all-in-one installer to install the stable build.
If you install via source you need to first install:
- Python (3.3 or above) - https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
- Pywin32 - https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/
Then you can call
python setup.py install
to install the remaining dependencies.
To run the tests, you also need to call
pip install pytest pytest-capturelog
before actually running the tests with
python setup.py test
Mac OS X
Please use our DMG package for a simple installation.
If you want to test the current git version or contribute to the project, you can follow these instructions with virtualenwrapper: http://virtualenvwrapper.readthedocs.org/ and homebrew: http://brew.sh/.
brew install python3 mkvirtualenv gns3-server --python=/usr/local/bin/python3.5 python3 setup.py install gns3server
If you want enable SSL support on GNS3 you can generate a self signed certificate:
This command will put the files in ~/.config/GNS3/ssl
After you can start the server in SSL mode with:
python gns3server/main.py --certfile ~/.config/GNS3/ssl/server.cert --certkey ~/.config/GNS3/ssl/server.key --ssl
Or in your gns3_server.conf by adding in the Server section:
[Server] certfile=/Users/noplay/.config/GNS3/ssl/server.cert certkey=/Users/noplay/.config/GNS3/ssl/server.key ssl=True
If you want test coverage:
py.test --cov-report term-missing --cov=gns3server
Please contact us using contact form available here: http://docs.gns3.com/1ON9JBXSeR7Nt2-Qum2o3ZX0GU86BZwlmNSUgvmqNWGY/index.html
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size gns3-server-2.2.22.tar.gz (8.8 MB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|