Search your google contacts from the command-line or mutt.
Table of Contents
The purpose of GooBook is to make it possible to use your Google Contacts from the command-line and from MUAs such as Mutt. It can be used from Mutt the same way as abook.
There is a number of ways to install Python software.
- Using pip
- Using a source tarball
- Using source directly from gitorius
- From a distribution specific repository
Which version to use
If you only have Python 2.7 you need to use GooBook 1.x. If you have Python 3.6+ you need to use GooBook 3.x.
There will be no further feature releases in the 1.x series.
This is the recommended way to install goobook for most users that don’t have it available in their distribution. When installing this way you will not need to download anything manually.
Install like this:
$ pip install --user goobook
This will install goobook as ~/.local/bin/goobook (In a UNIX environment).
This is the recommended way if you want to run from a git checkout. Install pipenv if you don’t have it, https://pipenv.readthedocs.io.
clone the git repos, cd into in, and run:
$ pipenv install
Goobook is now installed in a virtualenv created by pipenv. you can test pipenv by running:
$ pipenv run goobook
To locate the virtualenv where goobook is installed:
$ pipenv --venv
Source installation from tarball
Download the source tarball, uncompress it, then run the install command:
$ tar -xzvf goobook-*.tar.gz $ cd goobook-* $ sudo python ./setup.py install
For most users it will be enough to to run:
$ goobook authenticate
and follow the instructions.
To get access too more settings you can create a configuration file:
goobook config-template > ~/.goobookrc
It will look like this:
# "#" or ";" at the start of a line makes it a comment. [DEFAULT] # The following are optional, defaults are shown # This file is written by the oauth library, and should be kept secure, # it's like a password to your google contacts. ;oauth_db_filename: ~/.goobook_auth.json # The client secret file is not really secret, # usually the bundled default secret is used. ;client_secret_filename: ~/.goobook_client_secret.json ;cache_filename: ~/.goobook_cache ;cache_expiry_hours: 24 ;filter_groupless_contacts: yes # New contacts will be added to this group in addition to "My Contacts" # Note that the group has to already exist on google or an error will occur. # One use for this is to add new contacts to an "Unsorted" group, which can # be sorted easier than all of "My Contacts". ;default_group:
If you use a proxy you need to set the https_proxy environment variable.
If you want to use goobook from mutt.
Set in your .muttrc file:
set query_command="goobook query %s"
to query address book. (Normally bound to “Q” key.)
If you want to be able to use <tab> to complete email addresses instead of Ctrl-t add this:
bind editor <Tab> complete-query
To add email addresses (with “a” key normally bound to create-alias command):
macro index,pager a "<pipe-message>goobook add<return>" "add the sender address to Google contacts"
If you want to add an email’s sender to Contacts, press a while it’s selected in the index or pager.
To query your contacts:
$ goobook query QUERY
The add command reads a email from STDIN and adds the From address to your Google contacts:
$ goobook add
The cache is updated automatically according to the configuration but you can also force an update:
$ goobook reload
For more commands see:
$ goobook -h
$ goobook COMMAND -h
- Issue 73 (reopened): Accept org name as display_name
- Issue 80: Implemented street addresses for dquery (again).
- Reimplemented IM contact support for dquery
- Issue 17: Feature request: simple query output format to ease goobook use with notmuch
- dquery: Don’t print header if there is no groups.
- Issue 69: Added note about regexps to man page.
- Issue 79: Fixed parsing of birthdays without date (fix is to ignore them)
- dquery now prints each match only once.
- Fixed “goobook dump_contacts -p”
- Fixed dquery display of contacts with groups
- Issue 73: add organization/job fields
- dquery now prints birthday
- Issue 59: Auto reload after add
- Fixed searching for contact groups
- Issue 77: Fixed add command
- Don’t populate the cache with _invalid_ contacts by Matteo Landi
- Fixed MANIFEST so rst files is included in src bundles.
- Supports Python 3.6 but not 2.x.
- dump_* format changed from xml to json because of change to different google library.
- Removed last traces of keyring support.
- Implement support for fuzzy finding contacts and groups by Matteo Landi
Note, 2.x was never released.
- Change required versions for oauth2client/httplib2
- Update GooBook’s manpage
- #55 Fixed argument conflict between goobook and oauth2client
- Fixed so that the included client_secrets.json is installed with the source.
- Google no longer support ClientLogin (simple username/password)
- Removed support for ClientLogin
- Added OAuth2 support
- Removed support for .netrc
- Removed email, password, passwordeval fields from config
- Removed support for keyring, this might be temporary
- Removed support for executable .goobookrc
- Issue 41 Changed keyring dependency into an extra.
- Issue 43 depend on setuptools>=0.7 instead of distribute (they have merged)
- add support for default group by Samir Benmendil
- Issue 42 Include a manual page
- Removed dependency on hcs_utils, included the used module instead. On request, to simplify for packagers.
- Issue 39 Support for hcs-utils>=1.3
- Issue 40 Removed bundled distribute_setup.py
- Dropping support for Python 2.6, only Python 2.7 is now supported If you can’t upgrade to 2.7 stay with 1.4.
- No longer necessary to configure goobook to be able to generate a configuration template…
- Fixed issue 28: No Protocol is set on GTalk IM
- Fixed issue 32: Encoding problem of unicode chars on non unicode terminal.
- Fixed issue 34: Unable to query due to keyring/DBus regression
- Fixed issue 35: passwordeval
- Fixed issue 36: When the contact has no title mutt will use the extra_str as the title.
1.4a5 never released
- Correctly decode encoded From headers, by Jonathan Ballet
- Fixed IM without protocol, Issue 26
- Fixed encoding issues on OS X, Issue 33
- passwordeval, get password from a command by Zhihao Yuan
- Fixed bug in parsing postal addresses.
- Adjusted output format for postal addresses.
- Added contacts are now added to “My Contacts”, this fixes problem with searching now finding contacts you have added with goobook.
- Searches also matches on phonenumber (Patch by Marcus Nitzschke).
- Detailed, human readable, search results (Patch by Marcus Nitzschke).
- When a query match a email-address, only show that address and not all the contacts addresses.
- Added option to filter contacts that are in no groups (default on).
- Fixed mailing to groups
- Improved some error messages
- Isssue 20: Encoding on some Mac OS X
- Issue 21: Cache file never expires
- Support for auth via keyring
No changes since 1.3rc1
- Support for executable .goobookrc (replaces direct GnuPG support)
- Faster, more compact cache
- dump commands no longer use the cache
- Caching most contact data but not all
- Python 2.5 compability
- Added flags –verbose and –debug
- Added possibility to add a contact from the command-line.
- Added possibility to prompt for password.
- New command: dump_contacts
- New command: dump_groups
- New dependency, hcs_utils
- Now caching all contact data.
- Support for using a GnuPG encrypted config file (later replaced).
- Fixed bug when checking for the config file.
- Major refactoring
- Issue 14: Only search in these fields: name, nick, emails, group name. In 1.1 the group URL was also searched, which gave false positives.
- Auto create cache if it doesn’t exist.
- Use current locale to decode queries.
- Encode printed text using current locale.
- Added option to specify different configfile.
- Some documentation/help updates.
- The .goobookrc is now really optional.
- Added config-template command.
- Issue 13: Added support for contact groups.
- New cache format, no longer abook compatible (JSON).
- Issue 2: BadAuthentication error can create a problematic cache file so subsequent runs fail
- Issue 6: cache management needs improvements - reload, force refresh command - configurable cache expiry time
- Issue 7: Should probably set safe permissions on settings.pyc
- Issue 8: ‘add’ doesn’t strip extraneous quotation marks
- Issue 9: Indentation error when run without arguments
- Issue 10: Query doesn’t browse nicknames
- New abook compatible cache format.
- sort results
- Using SSL
- New config format
- .netrc support
- Supports adding non-ASCII From: headers.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|goobook-3.3-py3-none-any.whl (30.0 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py3|
|goobook-3.3.tar.gz (35.0 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|