IPython provides a rich toolkit to help you make the most out of using Python
interactively. Its main components are:
- A powerful interactive Python shell
- A Jupyter kernel to work with Python code in Jupyter
notebooks and other interactive frontends.
The enhanced interactive Python shells have the following main features:
- Comprehensive object introspection.
- Input history, persistent across sessions.
- Caching of output results during a session with automatically generated
- Extensible tab completion, with support by default for completion of python
variables and keywords, filenames and function keywords.
- Extensible system of ‘magic’ commands for controlling the environment and
performing many tasks related either to IPython or the operating system.
- A rich configuration system with easy switching between different setups
(simpler than changing $PYTHONSTARTUP environment variables every time).
- Session logging and reloading.
- Extensible syntax processing for special purpose situations.
- Access to the system shell with user-extensible alias system.
- Easily embeddable in other Python programs and GUIs.
- Integrated access to the pdb debugger and the Python profiler.
The latest development version is always available from IPython’s GitHub
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.