No project description provided
Pogo pin & test pad placement
Existing board needs a tester
- Export test pad locations & type to a spreadsheet
- Plugin exports pad type, position, ref des, & value from DUT
- Extend the exported data, choosing the pogo pin footprint, mounting holes, connectors, etc. This is useful for the placement of mechanically important parts and form factor compliance.
- Batch load parts into schematic
- Complete schematic as needed, batch loading can be repeated or bom exported & checked for consistency
- Update PCB from schematic (f8)
- Run script which moves existing ref des to the location in config
- Put label on silkscreen, additional notes could also be added
Placing Test Pads to Reuse a Tester
- Can follow same workflow as making a tester or copy from the existing board that uses the tester
- Script should have a check placement function that is read only
Matching Form Factor
- Ensure position, type, & rotation match a certain description.
- The grouped components then only need 2 dimensions locked to a reference to get correct.
Critical component placement
- Exact placement of mounting holes, sensors, connectors, etc
- Place parts in pcb layout from a configuration table.
- Allows writing a config script which fully defines the parts
- Connections are made either by updating from a schematic or passing a netlist
- Use example of schematic to pcb placement
- All parts are grouped together, locking their relative placement
- Internal configuration is a dataframe with ref des, label/value, footprint, position x, position y. Notes fields can be added for documentation generation.
- A separate config object can be that could pull in a board outline, stackup, etc describing the board.
- Position, rotation, & ref des are available in the centroid file, that avoids requiring the source board be kicad.
- Read spreadsheet to dataframe (use spreadsheet-wrangler)
- Export filtered ref des to dataframe (pcbnew wrangling)
- Dataframe to spreadsheet (pandas)
- Pull parts data to dataframe, check data matches
- Update part positions from dataframe (schematic to pcb position example)
- Group components
- Openscad test jig generator: https://tinylabs.io/openfixture-config/
- Manual kicad location extraction: https://tinylabs.io/openfixture-kicad-export/
- Hackaday test jigs: https://hackaday.com/2016/08/24/tools-of-the-trade-test-and-programming/#more-218337
- Kicad schematic to pcb position: https://github.com/ian-ross/kicad-plugins
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for kicad_parts_placer-0.1.0-py3-none-any.whl