API for composing emails through an external application
mailcomposer aims to provide a simple, cross-platform interface for composing emails through an external application like Microsoft Outlook. Some reasons you might use it are:
- You're behind a corporate firewall, and are only able to send email using Outlook.
- You don't have an SMTP server, or don't want the hassle of using
- You just prefer your desktop email client.
Here's how easy it is to use:
# This automatically selects an appropriate email application from mailcomposer import MailComposer mc = MailComposer() # Set some message headers mc.to = "email@example.com" mc.subject = "Testing mailcomposer" # Set the message body mc.body = "This is a demonstration of the mailcomposer package." # Attach this README file mc.attach_file("README.md") # Display the message in your email application mc.display()
The mailcomposer module can also be called as a script from the command line. When used this way, it provides an interface similar to the Unix
python -m mailcomposer --help.
Notable features include:
- Straightforward API
- Runs on both Python 2 and 3
- Uses your desktop email client; no SMTP server required
- To, CC, and BCC fields accept single recipients or Python lists
- Messages can be composed in either plain-text or HTML format
- Attachments are easy -- just pass the filename
Supported Email Applications
Supported email applications currently include:
- Microsoft Outlook (Windows only; requires pywin32)
- Mozilla Thunderbird
On Unix systems, mailcomposer can also access other email applications via the
xdg-email utility from xdg-utils. However, some features like setting the body format are not supported using
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size mailcomposer-0.2.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl (12.2 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size mailcomposer-0.2.4.tar.gz (8.3 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for mailcomposer-0.2.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl