Python and UNIX CLI utilities to simplify common MongoDB DevOps tasks
Michael S. Noble
There are a number of common operations one would like to perform upon
MongoDB databases directly from a UNIX command line, for scalability,
repeatability and automation (e.g. cron jobs). This package makes it very
choice of what key bindings you may edit with. The package also offers a
simple object framework, which not only maintains a consistent look and feel
amongst all tools, but also makes it very straightforward to add new ones.
To better resonate with the UNIX environment, many utilities in the mdbtools
suite have been given names which reflect UNIX tools of similar purpose. The
suite currently includes:
* mdbcat _display contents of one or more collections, as JSON or TSV/CSV tables_
* mdbcp _copy a collection_
* mdbindex _add/remove indexes to/from a collection_
* mdbload _load a table into a DB_
* mdbls _list the collections in a DB_
* mdbmv _rename (move) a collection_
* mdbquery _issue general purpose key=value queries (with timing info and more, e.g. to assess indexes)_
* mdbrm _remove a collection_
* mdbtouch _create a new, empty collection_
* mdbstats _display summary statistics for one or more collections in a DB_
Some of these tools can be extended in a natural way to operate upon entire databases or server instances, not just collections; this has been considered and may appear in a future release.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.