Python Fancy Printer
Python Fancy Printer
The nicely package is yet another ‘pretty printer’.
It is meant to:
- have a readable and consistent output.
- Nested levels are indented. (the indentation string is configurable (4 spaces by default))
- The sequences and the mapping keys are sorted. (can be disabled)
- Mapping keys are padded. (so the values are aligned)
- The data types may be shown. (disabled by default)
- be simple to use.
- Only one class is required.
- A convinience function is also provided.
- A CLI allow to dump files.
- be extensible
- If the provided support for standard types doesn’t suit your need, it’s easy to modify it.
- Any object can easaly be supported.
- be able to handle large data structure.
- Sequences, mappings, strings and multi-lines can be truncated as needed.
- Mapping items can be omitted based on regex.
There are 3 main ways to use nicely: The Printer class, the dump function and the CLI Command.
The Printer class:
from nicely import Printer p = Printer() p.print(some_data_structure)
The Printer.print method sends a formatted representation of its argument to a file-like destination (stdout by default).
The dump function:
from nicely import dump dump(some_data_structure)
The dump function uses the Printer class to ‘dump’ its argument on stdout as well as to a file (‘nicely.dump’ by default).
Data Types support
There are 2 ways for an object to be “printable” / “dumpable”:
The Formatter class
The Printer class needs one Formatter for each supported data type (exept for string).
A set of default Formatter is provided by the formatters module for Python’s builtin types and should be good enough for most purposes.
These formatters can be modified or extended at will to support new types or modify the output for existing ones.
The __print__ method
Any object can become ‘printable’ by implementing the __print__ method which will call the Printer’s methods in appropriate ways.
$ pip install nicely
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size nicely-0.1.2-py3-none-any.whl (8.4 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size nicely-0.1.2.tar.gz (8.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|