Import CSV files in the background
This module extends the standard CSV import functionality to import files in the background using the OCA/queue framework.
Table of contents
The user is presented with a new checkbox in the import screen. When selected, the import is delayed in a background job.
This job in turn splits the CSV file in chunks of minimum 100 lines (or more to align with record boundaries). Each chunk is then imported in a separate background job.
When an import fails, the job is marked as such and the user can read the error in the job status. The CSV chunk being imported is stored as an attachment to the job, making it easy to download it, fix it and run a new import, possibly in synchronous mode since the chunks are small.
Any file that can be imported by the standard import mechanism can also be imported in the background.
This module’s scope is limited to making standard imports asynchronous. It does not attempt to transform the data nor automate ETL flows.
Other modules may benefit from this infrastructure in the following way (as illustrated in the test suite):
- create an instance of base_import.import and populate its fields (res_model, file, file_name),
- invoke the do method with appropriate options (header, encoding, separator, quoting, use_queue, chunk_size).
- There is currently no user interface to control the chunk size, which is currently 100 by default. Should this proves to be an issue, it is easy to add an option to extend the import screen.
- Validation cannot be run in the background.
- Add dependency with module ‘queue_job_batch’, allowing the user to display the progress of the import from the top bar.
- [BREAKING] In the do method the use_connector option has changed to use_queue.
Bugs are tracked on GitHub Issues. In case of trouble, please check there if your issue has already been reported. If you spotted it first, help us smashing it by providing a detailed and welcomed feedback.
Do not contact contributors directly about support or help with technical issues.
Sébastien Beau (Akretion) authored the initial prototype.
Stéphane Bidoul (ACSONE) extended it to version 1.0 to support multi-line records, store data to import as attachments and let the user control the asynchronous behaviour.
Other contributors include:
- Anthony Muschang (ACSONE)
- David Béal (Akretion)
- Jonathan Nemry (ACSONE)
- Laurent Mignon (ACSONE)
- Dennis Sluijk (Onestein)
This module is maintained by the OCA.
OCA, or the Odoo Community Association, is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the collaborative development of Odoo features and promote its widespread use.
This module is part of the OCA/queue project on GitHub.
You are welcome to contribute. To learn how please visit https://odoo-community.org/page/Contribute.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size odoo11_addon_base_import_async-126.96.36.199.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (30.9 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for odoo11_addon_base_import_async-188.8.131.52.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl