Palabra is a crossword editor with a focus on professional crossword
development. Palabra is written in Python and C. It is
free software and it is licensed under the GNU General Public
License, version 3 or any later version.
- Python 2.6
- PyGTK 2.14
- lxml package, also known as python-lxml in repositories.
It can also be found here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml
- python-dev from the repositories.
Palabra should work with the above versions of the software packages but they
may need to be refined further (please contact me).
How to install/run
- In the directory of Palabra, run the following command:
python setup.py build
- You can now install Palabra using:
python setup.py install
- After that, you can run palabra using:
If you have trouble installing and you get errors about missing distribution
options, try upgrading the setup script with:
sudo python ez_setup.py -U setuptools
For the latest installation instructions, visit:
Placing a block:
- Left-click on a cell and press '.', or
- Hold SHIFT and left-click on a cell
Removing a block:
- Hold SHIFT and right-click on a cell
Change typing direction:
- Press TAB.
Entering a character in a cell:
- Left-click on the cell and type the character.
Move the selection to a nearby cell:
- Use the ARROW KEYS for left, right, up, and down.
Deleting a character:
- Left-click on a cell and press BACKSPACE or DELETE.
- You can also press BACKSPACE repeatedly to remove the whole slot.
Jump to the first cell of a slot:
- Press HOME.
Jump to the last cell of a slot:
- Press END.
Palabra supports the file formats XPF and ipuz (experimental).
- XFP (http://xwordinfo.com/xpf)
- ipuz (http://www.ipuz.org/)
ipuz is a trademark of Puzzazz, Inc., used with permission.
Note: All information can currently be saved with XPF while
not all information (such as explanations for clues) can currently
be saved with ipuz.
For bugs/comments, see Development below.
Development takes place at:
For reporting issues and requesting features:
TODO: Brief introduction on what you do with files - including link to relevant help section.