Simulator for the pandemic board game
Template Github Repository
This is a template repository for python projects which use sphinx for documentation, github actions for building, pytest and codecov for test coverage.
Create a new repository on github by clicking "Use this template"
Clone this repository into your new directory
git clone https://github.com/edmundsj/<MODULE_NAME>.git <MODULE_NAME>
Set github pages to use the
docs/folder for github pages at the bottom of the "Settings" page
Add this repositry to codecov: https://app.codecov.io/gh/edmundsj, and add the CODECOV_TOKEN secret to the github repository. You may need to login to codecov to refresh the repositories.
Create a new authentication token on testPyPi and add it as a github secret named
Create a new authentication token on PyPi and add it as a github secret named
Navigate into the cloned repository, and run the setup script. This will change all the names in the relevant setup files. If this does not work, see the end of the tutorial.:
If desired, once the build on the remote server finishes, replace the tokens from testPyPi and pyPi with ones that are restricted to this pyPi project. Delete the old ones.
Create a status badge from the '... -> Create Status Badge' in the github actions area separately for docs and build, and paste them in the README, as well as from codecov. Add a project description in "SETUP.py" and fill out the sections of the downloaded README.
Done! Your repository should be viewable on github pages: https://edmundsj.github.io/REPO_NAME/
- Note - since the package does not already exist on pyPi or testPyPi you will need to create a token that has access to all your projects. This obviously isn't an optimal way of doing things, and this should really be changed. I may want to add a setup script which does all the renaming, changes github hooks, and does an initial deploy to pypi and testpypi. If you want after the first push, you can create a new token restricted to the newly-pushed project.
If step 6 does not work, you may need to do a git pull before execution. If that doesn't work, you can execute the following manually:
6a. Change the git hooks location:
```git config core.hooksPath .hooks```
6b. Change this repository's name with
git remote set-url origin <NEW_REPO_URL>
6c. In the
.github/workflows/python-package-conda files, change all instances of "pytemplate" to "MODULE_NAME".
6d. Push to the new repository
```git push -u origin main```
- Github actions unit test integration via pytest
- Github actions package management with conda
- Github actions documentation build using sphinx and reST/markdown, with auto self-push to repository after successful build
- Github pages documentation hosting/integration
- Local commits hooks run full test suite
- Coverage uploaded automatically to codecov after successful build
- [FUTURE] Auto-deploy to pyPi/testpyPi after successful build
- Re-running builds on github actions will cause them to fail, as the build number deployed to PyPi depends on the github run number, which does not change if you restart a build.
- Pypi deploy is a little slower than test pypi, so it may not always be downloading the latest version.
How to Use
Adding Additional Unit Tests
- Any time you want to add additional unit tests just add them to those in the
tests/directory and prepend with the name
test. These will be automatically found by pytest and run during local commits and remote builds.
Writing the Documentation
- The documentation source is located in
docs/sourceand is written in restructured text (markdown is also available).
Building the Documentation
make html from the
docs/ directory. This will compile the
files in the
docs/source/ directory, and place them in the main
directory where github pages can find them.
Dependencies / Technologies Used
Thanks to all the great people on stack overflow and github, for their seemingly boundless tolerance to my and others' questions.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for pandemipy-0.1.2-py3-none-any.whl