Authenticates requests coming from a reverse proxy doing user authentication.
pas.plugins.trustedproxyauth is a PAS plugin for Plone/Zope2 which authenticates requests coming from a trusted reverse proxy where the user name is provided by a HTTP header.
The idea is to delegate user authentication to a reverse proxy (e.g. Apache with mod_auth_kerb) which is placed in front of the Zope instance. For any request coming from the reverse proxy, the user name is extracted from a HTTP header (typically X_REMOTE_USER) that was set by the authenticating proxy server.
- Add pas.plugins.trustedproxyauth to the list of eggs in your buildout. Then rerun buildout and restart your instance.
- In the ZMI go to your acl_users folder and select Trusted Proxy Authentication from the Add menu.
- Activate the Authentiation and Extraction functionality on the Activate tab. You may want to change the order of the extraction and authentication plugins by moving Trusted Proxy Authentication on top.
The following mandatory settings must be configured:
- Trusted Proxy IPs
- Specify the ip address of your reverse proxy here. Only requests coming from a trusted ip will be considered for user name extraction. You can specify multiple ip addresses. Defaults to 127.0.0.1.
- Login Name Header
- The name of the HTTP header containing the users login name. This header must be set by the authentication proxy. Defaults to X_REMOTE_USER.
- Require Exisiting PAS User
- If disabled, any login name provided in the header is authenticated (recommended). If enabled, only login names that can be looked up with PAS are authenticated.
pas.plugins.trustedproxyauth supports user name transformations that may be needed in combination with some reverse proxies. The following options are supported:
- Lowercase Login
- Transform the extracted login name to lowercase.
- Lowercase Domain
- Transform the domain name part of the extracted login name to lowercase. This is useful when using Kerberos authentication and the user id consists of userid@REALM.
- Strip NT Domain
- Remove the NT domain part from the extracted user name. All user names in the form DOMAIN\userid are transformed to userid.
- Strip AD Domain
- Remove the AD domain part from the extracted user name. All user names in the form userid@domain are transformed to userid.
- User Name Mapping
Specify a custom user name mapping by providing the extracted user name and the mapped user name separated by colon per line.
This package is copyright by 4teamwork.
pas.plugins.trustedproxyauth is licensed under GNU General Public License, version 2.
- Added option to emulate Plone logins which includes the creation of member areas and firing login events. The feature can be enabled by setting the Plone Login Timeout option. [buchi]
- Added option to verify the user name given in the request header. If enabled, only user names that can be looked up with PAS are authenticated. [buchi]
- Added a config page for plugin configuration and removed the ZMI properties that were used for configuration previously. With this change the user name mapping no longer needs to be calculated with each request. [buchi]
- Do user name mapping in the extraction part instead of the authenticate part. [buchi]
- Added option to lowercase AD domain part of login. [buchi]
- Added username mapping feature for rewriting the username provided by the trusted proxy into a known plone username. [jbaumann]
- Improved hostname to IP resolution [jbaumann]
- Added tests [jbaumann]
- Added option to strip NT and AD domains from login. [buchi]
- Initial release [buchi].