Tool for monitoring PlanetLab network
plbmng is a tool created for usage within PlanetLab network. Main purpose of this tool is to manage and monitor your PlanetLab nodes.
- For this purpose there are several tools within this project:
- to get all the servers and gather all available information about them
- to create a map with location of the servers
- to set-up a cron job which gets infromation about latency and/or ssh availability for the selected servers
- Python 3.6.5 (Python scripts have been tested on this version but they will probably work with other versions too.)
- Python modules (all modules are available from pip):
To install the plbmng module, type:
$ pip3 install plbmng
When you run plbmng for the first time, please add your credentials for Planetlab network. If you don’t want to add your credentials right away, you can skip it and add it in the settings later.
Once you added your credentials, use Get nodes option in the Monitor servers menu. In default you will have some default old data which can be updated by this function. It downloads all servers from your slice and exports it as default.node file.
Access servers: If you are looking for some specific node or set of nodes, use Access servers option. In the next screen you can choose from three filters: search by DNS, IP or location. If you choose search by DNS or IP you will be prompted to type a string, which indicates the domain you are looking for. If you want to search by location, you will be asked to choose a continent and a country. Then you will see all available nodes from this selected country and you can choose one of them to see more detailes about this particular node. At the bottom of the information screen you can choose from three options.
- Monitor servers: In this menu you can set-up a cron job for monitoring your slice.
- Set cron for monitoring, here you can specify how often you wish to run the monitoring.
- Set monitored elements, supported elements are ping and SSH.
- Get nodes will immediately run a test which you have chosen in the Set monitored elements.
- Plot servers on map:
- Generate map, will create a map with all nodes from planetlab.node file. You can choose what shall be displayed on the map in Select map elements, select what do display on map. You can choose from ICMP responses and SSH time.
- Set credentials:
- Will open interactive editor for you to insert your credentials to PlanetLab network.