An annotated, single-line progress bar for terminals.
A simple way of providing an informative and clean progress bar on the terminal that:
- knows a terminal’s current width
- has a header
- works out of the box when reading files
- always shows a relative percentage
- works for Python 2.6+ and 3.0+
file.txt: [========================79.3%===============> ]
pip install progress_bar
Generally, to create any kind of progress bar with a default “size” of 100 arbitrary units:
from progress_bar import InitBar pbar = InitBar() pbar(10) # update % to 10% pbar(20) # update % to 20% pbar(15) # simulate a Microsoft progress bar pbar(100) # done del pbar # write the newline
To easily create a progress bar for reporting (reading) progress in a filehandle that can tell() its offset:
from progress_bar import InitBarForInfile pbar = InitBarForInfile("./README.rst") instream = open("./README.rst") for line in iter(instream.readline, ''): pbar(instream.tell()) del pbar
With those default arguments, the bar will be as wide as the terminal window. However, it will have two whitespaces on both sides of the bar to achieve a visually more appealing display. Terminal window width is defined by termios using fcntl, both from the standard library. The progress bar will be prefixed with the basename of the input file (“file.txt” in the above example).
- 8: README improvements thanks to Marc Abramowitz, @msabramo
- 7: fixed error with InitBar when no title is given
- 6: removed remaining function annotations (Py2.7; thanks to Adam Knight @ahknight)
- 5: fixed a few rough edges from the last update
- 4: made the bars with titles one-liners and fixed functions names (FunctionNames, ClassNames, methodNames, variable_names) because the PEP8 convention of using “snake_case” for nearly all names makes no sense to me what-so-ever… Finally, fixed the documentation to reflect Sphinx standards.
- 3: fixed the version number so PEP426 issues are avoided (pip install now works…)
- 2: updated the readme/usage section to reflect tell() issues with Python3
- 1: initial release
Copyright and License
License: Apache License v2. Copyright 2007-2014 Florian Leitner. All rights reserved.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size progress_bar-8.tar.gz (5.2 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|