Python package for working with Adobe Photoshop PSD files
psd-tools is a Python package for working with Adobe Photoshop PSD files as described in specification.
Use pip to install the package:
pip install psd-tools
In order to extract images from 32bit PSD files PIL/Pillow must be built with LITTLECMS or LITTLECMS2 support.
For complete layer image composition functionality, also install NumPy/SciPy. This will be only necessary when the PSD files are saved without maximized compatibility and the image contains gradient fill:
pip install numpy scipy
from psd_tools import PSDImage psd = PSDImage.open('example.psd') psd.compose().save('example.png') for layer in psd: print(layer)
Check out the documentation for features and details.
See contributing page.
- fix pass-through composing bug;
- fix alpha blending in effect;
- fix vector mask composition;
- experimental support for shape stroke;
- experimental support for stroke effect.
- change effect property return type from str to enum;
- improve gradient quality;
- support fill opacity and layer opacity;
- add tmln key in metadata setting.
- support gradient styles.
- fix broken psd_tools.composer.vector module in 1.8.17;
- experimental support for color noise gradient;
- bugfix for clip masks;
- bugfix for CMYK composing.
- move psd_tools.api.composer module to psd_tools.composer package;
- support 19 blending modes in composer;
- support fill opacity;
- fix image size when composing with masks;
- rename TaggedBlockID to Tag;
- rename ImageResourceID to Resource;
- add bytes mixin to Enum constants;
- replace Enum keys with raw values in psd_tools.psd.base.Dict classes.
- fix broken group compose in 1.8.15;
- fix missing pattern / gradient composition in vector stroke content.
- coding style fix;
- fix compose() bbox option.
- add dependency to aggdraw;
- support bezier curves in vector masks;
- support path operations;
- fix compose(force=True) behavior;
- fix default background color in composer;
- improve pattern overlay parameters support;
- fix gradient map generation for a single stop.
- fix engine_data unknown tag format;
- fix compose for extra alpha channels;
- workaround for pillow 6.0.0 bug.
- add apply_icc option in pil io.
- introduce terminology module;
- reduce memory use in read;
- add main testing.
- fix PSB extn key size bug.
- documentation updates;
- introduce Artboard class.
- revert package name to psd_tools;
- prepare merging to the main repo.
- minor bugfix.
- change _psd pointer in PSDImage;
- add version property;
- support fill effects in composer.
- change tagged block/image resource singleton accessor in user API;
- add documentation on iterator order;
- fix export setting 1 big key config;
- fix computer info big key config.
- add channel size checking in topil;
- add mlst metadata decoding;
- fix key collision issue in descriptor;
- performance improvement for packbit encoding/decoding;
- drop cython dependency in travis config;
- implement thumbnail, is_group, and parent methods in PSDImage.
- major API changes;
- package name changed to psd_tools2;
- completely rewritten decoding subpackage psd_tools2.psd;
- improved composer functionality;
- file write support;
- drop cython compression module and makes the package pure-python;
- drop pymaging support.
- composer alpha blending fix;
- documentation fix.
- support cinf tagged block.
- add missing extra image resource block signatures.
- move psd_tools tests under tests/psd_tools.
- fix alpha channel visibility of composed image.
- fix unit rectangle drawing size.
- fix ignored visibility in bbox calculation.
- drop py34 support;
- fix tobytes deprecation warning.
- fix gradient descriptor bug.
- fix coloroverlay bug;
- fix gradient angle bug;
- fix curves decoder bug.
- fix descriptor decoder.
- add shape rendering in compose();
- add grayscale support.
- fix has_pixel() condition.
- fix fill opacity in compose();
- workaround for broken PrintFlags.
- fix color overlay issue in compose().
- fix verbose arg for python 3.7 compatibility.
- fix has_pixel() for partial channels;
- support color overlay in compose().
- fix mask rendering in compose (Thanks @andrey-hider and @nkato).
- unicode bugfixes.
- fix descriptor decoding errors;
- minor bugfixes.
- fix UnicodeError in exif;
- workaround for irregular descriptor name;
- add undocumented extn tagged block decoding;
- move duplicated icc module to subpackage;
- support PIL rendering with extra alpha channels.
- update documentation;
- fix PEP8 compliance;
- rename merge_layers to compose.
- fix white background issue in as_PIL().
- add quality testing;
- fix disabled mask.
- fix has_mask() condition;
- add mask composition in merge_layers();
- fix mask display.
- fix infinity loop in print_tree().
- add vector origination API;
- fix shape and vector mask identification;
- change enum name conversion;
- update docs.
- add adjustments API;
- add mask API;
- bugfix for tagged_blocks decoders.
- add mask user API;
- add layer coordinate user API;
- add vector mask and vector stroke API;
- cleanup user API;
- add automatic descriptor conversion.
- cleanup user API organization;
- remove json encoder api;
- make cli a package main.
- workaround for anaconda 2.7 pillow;
- bbox existence checkf.
- experimental clipping support in merge_layer();
- revert as_PIL() in AdjustmentLayer.
- Small fix for erroneous unicode path name
- Add all_layers() method;
- Add _image_resource_blocks property;
- Add thumbnail() method.
- documentation updates;
- github repository renamed to psd-tools2;
- AdjustmentLayer fix.
- layer class structure reorganization;
- add Effects API;
- add TypeLayer API methods.
- PSDImage user API update;
- user API adds distinct layer types;
- Sphinx documentation.
- implemented many decodings of image resources and tagged blocks;
- implemented EngineData text information;
- user API for getting mask and patterns;
- user API to calculate bbox for shape layers;
- Fixed reading of layer mask data (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- Python 2.6 support is dropped;
- Python 3.6 support is added (thanks Leendert Brouwer);
- extension is rebuilt with Cython 0.25.2.
- fixed references decoding (thanks Josh Drake);
- fixed PIL support for CMYK files (thanks Michael Wu);
- optional C extension is rebuilt with Cython 0.23.4;
- Python 3.2 support is dropped; the package still works in Python 3.2, but the compatibility is no longer checked by tests, and so it can break in future.
- declare Python 3.5 as supported.
- implemented extraction of embedded files (embedded smart objects) - thanks Volker Braun;
- optional C extension is rebuilt with Cython 0.21.2.
- hg mirror on bitbucket is dropped, sorry!
- improved METADATA_SETTING decoding (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- layer comps decoding (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- improved smart objects decoding (thanks Joey Gentry);
- user API for getting layer transforms and placed layer size (thanks Joey Gentry);
- IPython import is deferred to speedup psd-tools.py command-line utility;
- _RootGroup.__repr__ is fixed;
- warning message building is more robust;
- optional C extension is rebuilt with Cython 0.21.1.
- Fixed reading of images with layer masks (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- improved mask data decoding (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- fixed syncronization in case of 8B64 signatures (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- fixed reading of layers with zero length (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- fixed Descriptor parsing (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- some of the descriptor structures and tagged block constants are renamed (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- PATH_SELECTION_STATE decoding (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- the library is switched to setuptools; docopt is now installed automatically.
- Layer effects parsing (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- trailing null bytes are stripped from descriptor strings (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- “Reference” and “List” descriptor parsing is fixed (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- scalar descriptor values (doubles, floats, booleans) are now returned as scalars, not as lists of size 1 (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- fixed reading of EngineData past declared length (thanks Carlton P. Taylor);
- “background color” Image Resource parsing (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- psd_tools.decoder.actions.Enum.enum field is renamed to psd_tools.decoder.actions.Enum.value (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- code simplification - constants are now bytestrings as they should be (thanks Evgeny Kopylov);
- Python 3.4 is supported.
- Improved merging of transparent layers (thanks Vladimir Timofeev);
- fixed layer merging and bounding box calculations for empty layers (thanks Vladimir Timofeev);
- C extension is rebuilt with Cython 0.20.1.
- psd-tools.py command-line interface is changed, ‘debug’ command is added;
- pretty-printing of internal structures;
- pymaging support is fixed;
- allow ‘MeSa’ to be a signature for image resource blocks (thanks Alexey Buzanov);
- psd_tools.debug.debug_view utility function is fixed;
- Photoshop CC constants are added;
- Photoshop CC vector origination data is decoded;
- binary data is preserved if descriptor parsing fails;
- more verbose logging for PSD reader;
- channel data reader became more robust - now it doesn’t read past declared channel length;
- psd-tools.py –version command is fixed;
- lsdk tagged blocks parsing: this fixes some issues with layer grouping (thanks Ivan Maradzhyiski for the bug report and the patch);
- CMYK images support is added (thanks Alexey Buzanov, Guillermo Rauch and https://github.com/a-e-m for the help);
- Grayscale images support is added (thanks https://github.com/a-e-m);
- LittleCMS is now optional (but it is still required to get proper colors).
- Point and Millimeter types are added to UnitFloatType (thanks Doug Ellwanger).
- Some issues with descriptor parsing are fixed (thanks Luke Petre).
- Python 2.x: reading data from file-like objects is fixed (thanks Pavel Zinovkin).
- Fixed parsing of layer groups without explicit OPEN_FOLDER mark;
- Cython extension is rebuilt with Cython 0.18.
- Descriptor parsing (thanks Oliver Zheng);
- text (as string) is extracted from text layers (thanks Oliver Zheng);
- improved support for optional building of Cython extension.
- Typo is fixed: LayerRecord.cilpping should be LayerRecord.clipping. Thanks Oliver Zheng.
- Highly experimental: basic layer merging is implemented (e.g. it is now possible to export layer group to a PIL image);
- Layer.visible no longer takes group visibility in account;
- Layer.visible_global is the old Layer.visible;
- psd_tools.user_api.combined_bbox made public;
- Layer.width and Layer.height are removed (use layer.bbox.width and layer.bbox.height instead);
- pil_support.composite_image_to_PIL is renamed to pil_support.extract_composite_image and pil_support.layer_to_PIL is renamed to pil_support.extract_layer_image in order to have the same API for pil_support and pymaging_support.
- psd.composite_image() is renamed to psd.as_PIL();
- Pymaging support: psd.as_pymaging() and layer.as_pymaging() methods.
- Support for zip and zip-with-prediction compression methods is added;
- support for 16/32bit layers is added;
- optional Cython extension for faster zip-with-prediction decompression;
- other speed improvements.
- Initial support for 16bit and 32bit PSD files: psd-tools v0.2 can read composite (merged) images for such files and extract information (names, dimensions, hierarchy, etc.) about layers and groups of 16/32bit PSD; extracting image data for distinct layers in 16/32bit PSD files is not suported yet;
- better Layer.__repr__;
- bbox property for Group.
Packaging is fixed in this release.
- Better support for 32bit images (still incomplete);
- reader is able to handle “global” tagged layer info blocks that was previously discarded.
- warn about 32bit images;
- transparency support for composite images.
Initial release (v0.1 had packaging issues).
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|psd_tools-1.8.22-py2.py3-none-any.whl (119.3 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py2.py3|
|psd-tools-1.8.22.tar.gz (100.9 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|