Easily perform safe (merge-based) rebases.
Easily perform merge-based rebases, i.e. rebases that don’t alter history.
You can read the full rationale behind this idea here:
As a summary:
- git checkout topic && git merge master is the wrong way to merge. Get ready for bad things to happen.
- git checkout topic && git rebase master is better but:
- it alters history. It is safe from merge conflicts but doesn’t guarantee that merged code works. You are losing some intermediate states of your work.
- it is incompatible with branches you already pushed to shared repository.
- mimics the “rebase” workflow, but only using merges, no history alteration. It replays “topic” changes on top of “master” in “topic” branch (just like rebase), without deleting “topic” changes.
- preserves all states of your code.
- is compatible with pushed branches.
- the main (and only?) counterpart is that there are more entries in history. There are more commits and more merges. Is that a drawback? If you look carefully, things are clear and clean. But some developers don’t like it…
Currently developped against Python 2.7.x. Supports only Git for now.
sudo pip install https://github.com/benoitbryon/psykorebase/archive/master.tar.gz#egg=psykorebase
Uninstall with sudo pip uninstall psykorebase.
Current, in-development prototype
psykorebase MASTER [TOPIC] performs a “psycho-rebase” of TOPIC branch on top of MASTER. Where TOPIC is optional and defaults to current branch.
git checkout master && git pull --rebase origin master # Update master. git checkout topic && psykorebase master # Psykorebase topic on top of master.
Planned usage (in development)
The default, issues one merge for each (new) commit in topic branch:
git checkout topic && psykorebase master.
The quick’n’dirty, issues one big merge which includes all (new) commits from topic branch (merges heads):
git checkout topic && psykorebase --fast master
The default is safer, the --fast works well when there are poor chances of problems. CHANGELOG =========
- Fix setup.py
- Add Python3 support.
- Add Git support
- Add psykorebase BRANCH and psykorebase --continue functionality.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size psykorebase-1.0.1.zip (13.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|