Several genealogical python tools included which are under development.
It is mainly offering the following capabilities:
- Access by command line to Geni profiles and relationship information.
- Geni interface
- Build a tree of ancestors in Geni
- Build a map of cousins of a given profile in Geni.
- Create a child, parents or partner in geni
- Delete a profile in geni
- Get profile, relations and union data.
- Extract the tree of descendants of a profile in gedcom
- Several genealogical functions.
- Get children surname based on several naming conventions
- Get name removing surnames
- Check dates consistency in profiles
- Guess the names and surnames from a complete surname (beta)
- A common base profile for any genealogical input
- Merging profile algorithm (basic)
- A tool for parsing FamilySearch excel outputs of sons in a family.
- Import to Geni an excel output of children from FamilySearch records, it will merge common profiles
- Interface with several online registers:
- Rememori: https://www.rememori.com
- Obituary from this newspaper: http://esquelas.elnortedecastilla.es/
- Obituary from this newspaper: https://www.abc.es/esquelas/
- Cementry of the city of Valencia: http://www.valencia.es/ayuntamiento/cementerios.nsf/
- Web obituary from Spain: https://esquelas.es
- Obituary from this newspaper: https://enmemoria.lavanguardia.com
- Obituary from this newspaper: https://esquelas.elcorreo.com/
- Obituary from this newspaper: https://esquelas.eldiariomontanes.es/
- Obituary from this newspaper: https://esquelas.ideal.es/
- Obituary from this newspaper: https://esquelas.larioja.com/
- GEDCOM file wrapper
- It allows to read gedcomfiles and operated them (add new profiles)
- It allows to transform data from other sources (Geni, RootsMagic) into GEDCOM.
- Automatic investigation
- For those interfaces avaialble, it can found potential matches in a GEDCOM.
- RootsMagic interface
- It provide a simple interface to RootsMagic database allowing to access the data and the different profiles.
- Matching and synchronization between different genealogical databases
- It identifies profiles existing in 2 databases (i.e. RootsMagic and Geni) and synchronizes, by creating missing profiles
- Perform some quality checks of wrong or missing data
Notice that this import is intended to import registers from FamilySearch, is you are interested in importing profiles from a family tree located in FamilySearch to Geni use this tool: https://github.com/jeffg2k/SmartCopy, which is a pretty nice piece of software and very helpful.
This application uses the Geni API but is not endorsed, operated, or sponsored by Geni.com.
You can install it using pip
pip install pyGenealogicalTools
Tested using python 3.5.3 and 3.6.2, happy to test other versions if needed. Main limitation are the testing capabilities in travis for wxpython.
In order to use the tools you will need to install the following modules:
- requests: http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/
- metaphone: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Metaphone/0.4
- openpyxl (notice that there is a regression on this library. Tested on 2.6.2)
- pyexcel pyexcel-xls pyexcel-xlsx (only used for transforming xls into xlsx)
All the previous modules are available in the requirements.txt file, but wxpython needs to be manually installed, visit wxpython page for further info.
Concerning testing, the repository if configured to use nose, coverage, nose-htmloutput, so you will need to install in your local installation as well.
In order to use the interface, you will need to generate an application card inside Geni and obtain a key. You can create the application card in this: location https://www.geni.com/platform/developer/api_explorer, the key will be only valid for 24h, so you will need to register again the key regularly.
For each execution of the Geni API contained in this software, you will later need to introduce the key. Do not make the key public. In the examples area you have a description of how to obtain the key in execute the complete module, in a nutshell this is the way to set the Geni Key:
from pyGeni import set_token GENI_KEY = "IntroduceHereYourGeniKey" set_token(GENI_KEY)
MapBox API Key
As google Maps API is no longer working without payments details, Google API has been replaced by MapBox API. In order to work the library needs the MAPBOX API (free of charge). Just set-up this way:
from pyGenealogy import set_mapbox_key MAPBOX_KEY = "IntroduceHereYourMapBoxKey" set_mapbox_key(MAPBOX_KEY)
The file GeniTools is the one I am using as main programme. It is not yet very stable, but the libraries are getting. Just use the input file "INPUT_TEMPLATE" and select as input inside the script GeniTools.py, the input file needs to include the Geni token and the starting profile.
In order to get the token just go here: https://www.geni.com/platform/developer/api_explorer and introduce it in the input file as GENIKEY. Notice that the key gets updated almost everyday... so everytime you are using this script you will need to do it.
Interested in helping?
There are several areas where you can collaborate:
- Report any wrong behaviour as an issue
- Comment the code where it is not properly commented
- Provide naming and surname conventions for other languages
- Support on documentation development or examples
- Solve an specific issue
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for pyGenealogicalTools-1.0.2.tar.gz
Hashes for pyGenealogicalTools-1.0.2-py3-none-any.whl