A light weight excel read/writer for python27 and python3 with no dependencies
pylightxl - A Light Weight Excel Reader/Writer
A light weight, zero dependency (only standard libs used), to the point (no bells and whistles) Microsoft Excel reader/writer python 2.7-3+ library. See documentation: docs
Sample - see docs - quick start guide for more examples:
- Reader supports .xlsx and .xlsm file extensions.
- Writer only supports .xlsx (no macros/buttons/graphs/formatting)
- Does not support .xls (excel 97-2003 worksheet).
- Does not support worksheet cell data more than 536,870,912 cells (32-bit list limitation).
- Writer does not support anything other than writing values/formulas/strings.
- Writing to existing workbooks will remove any macros/buttons/graphs/formatting!
In-work version 1.5
- additional database indexing features
pypi version 1.4
- new-feature: write new excel file from pylightxl.Database
- new-feature: write to existing excel file from pylightxl.Database
- new-feature: db.update_index(row, col, val) for user defined cell values
- new-feature: db.update_address(address, val) for user defined cell values
- bug fix for reading user defined sheets
- bug fix for mis-alignment of reading user defined sheets and xml files
Why pylightxl over pandas/openpyxl
- (compatibility +1, small lib +1) pylightxl has no external dependencies (only uses python built-in standard libs).
- (compatibility +1) pylightxl was written to be compatible for python 2.7-3+ under one single pylightxl version. It does not impose rules on users to switch versions.
- (small lib +1) pylightxl was written to simply read/write, thereby making the library small without any bells or whistles which makes it easy to compile with PyInstaller and other packagers
- (user friendly +1) pylightxl was written to be as pythonic and easy to use as possible. Core developers actively survey Stack Overflow questions on working with excel files to tailor the API for most common problems.
- (see xlrd before pylightxl) Note that the xlrd library is very similar in values to pylightxl, but with much more functionality! Please take a look at xlrd to see if it is a good fit for your project. So why pick pylightxl over xlrd that has much more to offer? Currently, xlrd does not have any active developers. Pylightxl is a new library aimed to help solve current excel data issues (as surveyed by Stack Overflow), please submit your suggestions to help improve this library together.
pip install pylightxl
We try to keep an active lookout for users trying to solve Microsoft Excel related problems with python on Stack Overflow. Please help us build on the great community that python already is by helping others get up to speed with pylightxl!
From everyone in the pylightxl family, thank you for visiting!
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pylightxl-1.41-py3-none-any.whl (16.1 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size pylightxl-1.41.tar.gz (21.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|