'Supports science analysis across disparate data platforms'
pysat: Python Satellite Data Analysis Toolkit
The Python Satellite Data Analysis Toolkit (pysat) is a package providing a simple and flexible interface for downloading, loading, cleaning, managing, processing, and analyzing scientific measurements. Although pysat was initially designed for in situ satellite observations, it now supports many different types of ground- and space-based measurements.
JGR-Space Physics Publication
- Instrument independent analysis routines.
- Instrument object providing an interface for downloading and analyzing a wide
variety of science data sets.
- Uses pandas or xarray for the underlying data structure; capable of handling the many forms scientific measurements take in a consistent manner.
- Standard scientific data handling tasks (e.g., identifying, downloading, and loading files and cleaning and modifying data) are built into the Instrument object.
- Supports metadata consistent with the netCDF CF-1.6 standard. Each variable has a name, long name, and units. Note units are informational only.
- Simplifies data management
- Iterator support for loading data by day/file/orbit, independent of data storage details.
- Orbits are calculated on the fly from loaded data and span day breaks.
- Iterate over custom seasons
- Supports rigorous time-series calculations that require spin up/down time across day, orbit, and file breaks.
- Includes helper functions to reduce the barrier in adding new science instruments to pysat
Starting from scratch
Python and associated packages for science are freely available. Convenient science python package setups are available from https://www.python.org/, Anaconda, and other locations (some platform specific). Anaconda also includes a developer environment that works well with pysat. Core science packages such as numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pandas and many others may also be installed directly via pip or your favorite package manager.
Installation through pip
pip install pysat
- Installation through github
git clone https://github.com/pysat/pysat.git cd pysat python setup.py install
An advantage to installing through github is access to the development branches.
The latest bugfixes can be found in the
develop branch. However, this branch
is not stable (as the name implies). We recommend using this branch in a
virtual environment or using
python setup.py develop.
git clone https://github.com/pysat/pysat.git cd pysat git checkout develop python setup.py develop
- Note that pysat requires a number of packages for the install.
- The first time the package is run, you will need to specify a directory to store data. In python, run:
pysat.params['data_dirs'] = 'path/to/directory/that/exists'
- Nominal organization of data is top_dir/platform/name/tag/inst_id/files
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pysat-3.0.0.tar.gz (417.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|