library for parsing xbrl documents
The easiest way to install python-xbrl is with pip
pip install python-xbrl
Or install the latest dev version from github (or replace @master with a release vergitsion like @v1.1.0)
pip install git+https://github.com/greedo/python-xbrl.git@master
git clone https://github.com/greedo/python-xbrl.git
Copy the python-xbrl directory into your python path. Zip here
Made sure your sys.path is correct.
- Python >= 2.6 or >= 3.3
For PyPI support it is recommended you use https://github.com/amauryfa/lxml for lxml as this is a fork that uses cffi instead of the python capi.
To start using the library, first import the XBRLParser
from xbrl import XBRLParser, GAAP, GAAPSerializer
Simple Parsing Workflow
First parse the incoming XRBL file into a new XBRL basic object
xbrl_parser = XBRLParser() xbrl = xbrl_parser.parse(file("sam-20131228.xml"))
Then you can parse the document using different parsers
gaap_obj = xbrl_parser.parseGAAP(xbrl, doc_date="20131228", context="current", ignore_errors=0)
Now we have a GAAP model object that has the GAAP parsed elements from the document.
This model object supports the several different features including:
- context current, year, and instant contexts are supported. If available you can also get previous quarter information by number of days from doc date. Example: 90, 180, etc.
- Error handling. 0 raise exception for all parsing errors and halt parsing, 1 Supress all parsing errors and continue parsing, 2 Log all parsing errors and continue parsing
You can serialize the GAAP model object into a serialized object acceptable for rending into a standard format such as JSON or HTTP API.
serializer = GAAPSerializer() result = serializer.dump(gaap_obj)
You can also just view the data in the serialized object
You can apply various parsers to the base XBRLParser object to get different data than just GAAP data from the document. In addition as expected you can also create different serialized objects on the resulting parsed data object.
Extracting DEI Data
dei_obj = xbrl_parser.parseDEI(xbrl) serializer = DEISerializer() result = serializer.dump(dei_obj)
Extracting Custom Data
custom_obj = xbrl_parser.parseCustom(xbrl) print custom_obj()
To run the unit tests, you need pytest
pip install pytest
Once you have that, cd into the root directory of this repo and
py.test --tb=line -vs
For any bugs you encounter please open a Github issue
- Check for open issues or open a fresh issue to start a discussion around a feature idea or a bug.
- If you feel uncomfortable or uncertain about an issue or your changes, feel free to email @greedo and he will happily help you via email, Skype, remote pairing or whatever you are comfortable with.
- Fork the repository on GitHub to start making your changes to the master branch (or branch off of it).
- Write a test which shows that the bug was fixed or that the feature works as expected.
- Send a pull request and bug the maintainer until it gets merged and published. :) Make sure to add yourself to AUTHORS.
Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the license.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size python-xbrl-1.1.1.tar.gz (10.4 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|