Pywb Webrecorder web archive replay and capture tools
Web Archiving Tools for All
pywb is a Python (2 and 3) web archiving toolkit for replaying web archives large and small as accurately as possible. The toolkit now also includes new features for creating high-fidelity web archives.
This toolset forms the foundation of Webrecorder project, but also provides a generic web archiving toolkit that is used by other web archives, including the traditional “Wayback Machine” functionality.
The 2.x release included a major overhaul of pywb and introduces many new features, including the following:
- Dynamic multi-collection configuration system with no-restart updates.
- New recording capability to create new web archives from the live web or other archives.
- Componentized architecture with standalone Warcserver, Recorder and Rewriter components.
- Support for Memento API aggregation and fallback chains for querying multiple remote and local archival sources.
- HTTP/S Proxy Mode with customizable certificate authority for proxy mode recording and replay.
- Flexible rewriting system with pluggable rewriters for different content-types.
- Standalone, modular client-side rewriting system (wombat.js) to handle most modern web sites.
- Improved ‘calendar’ query UI with incremental loading, grouping results by year and month, and updated replay banner.
- Extensible UI customizations system for modifying all aspects of the UI.
- Robust access control system for blocking or excluding URLs, by prefix or by exact match.
- New in 2.6: Access Control embargo and http-header control access settings.
- New in 2.6: Support for localization and multi-language deployment.
Please see the full documentation for more detailed info on all these features.
To run and install locally you can:
- Install with python setup.py install
- Run tests with python setup.py test
- Run Wayback with wayback (see docs for info on how to setup collections)
- Build docs locally with: cd docs; make html. (The docs will be built in ./_build/html/index.html)
Consult the local or online docs for latest usage and configuration details.
The pywb documentation is extensive. Some links to a few key guides:
Contributions & Bug Reports
Users are encouraged to fork and contribute to this project to keep improving web archiving tools.
If you are interested in contributing, especially to any of these areas, please let us know!
Otherwise, please take a look at list of current issues and feel free to open new ones about any aspect of pywb, including the new documentation.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.