Python MediaWiki Bot Framework
The Pywikibot framework is a Python library that interfaces with the MediaWiki API version 1.14 or higher.
Also included are various general function scripts that can be adapted for different tasks.
For further information about the library excluding scripts see the full code documentation.
git clone https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/pywikibot/core.git cd core git submodule update --init python pwb.py script_name
Or to install using PyPI (excluding scripts)
pip install -U setuptools pip install pywikibot
Our installation guide has more details for advanced usage.
If you wish to write your own script it’s very easy to get started:
import pywikibot site = pywikibot.Site('en', 'wikipedia') # The site we want to run our bot on page = pywikibot.Page(site, 'Wikipedia:Sandbox') page.text = page.text.replace('foo', 'bar') page.save('Replacing "foo" with "bar"') # Saves the page
For more documentation on pywikibot see our docs.
The contents of the package
Directories pywikibot Library routines, control files and global settings pywikibot/comms Communication layer pywikibot/data Module with several layers for data access to wiki pywikibot/families wiki-specific information and settings pywikibot/page Module with classes for MediaWiki page content pywikibot/site Module with classes for MediaWiki sites pywikibot/specialbots Module containing special bots reusable by scripts pywikibot/tools Miscellaneous helper functions (not wiki-dependent) pywikibot/userinterfaces GUI and terminal interface
Required external programs
It may require the following programs to function properly:
- 7za: To extract 7z files
- Read correct object in SiteLinkCollection.normalizeData (T259426)
- tools.count and tools classes Counter, OrderedDict and ContextManagerWrapper were removed
- Deprecate UnicodeMixin and IteratorNextMixin
- Restrict site module interface
- EventStreams “since” parameter settings has been fixed
- Unsupported debug and uploadByUrl parameters of UploadRobot were removed
- Unported compat decode parameter of Page.title() has been removed
- Wikihow family file was added (T249814)
- Improve performance of CosmeticChangesToolkit.translateMagicWords
- Prohibit positional arguments with Page.title()
- Functions dealing with stars list were removed
- Some pagegenerators functions were deprecated which should be replaced by site generators
- LogEntry became a UserDict; all content can be accessed by its key
- URLs for new toolforge.org domain were updated
- pywikibot.__release__ was deprecated
- Use one central point for framework version (T106121, T171886, T197936, T253719)
- rvtoken parameter of Site.loadrevisions() and Page.revisions() has been dropped (T74763)
- getFilesFromAnHash and getImagesFromAnHash Site methods have been removed
- Site and Page methods deprecated for 10 years or longer have been removed
- Support for Python 2 and 3.4 has been dropped (T213287, T239542)
- Bugfixes and improvements
- Localisation updates
- 4.0.0: Deprecate tools.UnicodeMixin and tools.IteratorNextMixin will be removed
- 4.0.0: Site.Family() function will be removed in favour of Family.load() method
- 4.0.0: Site.getExpandedString method will be removed in favour of expand_text
- 4.0.0: Unused parameters of page methods like forceReload, insite, throttle, step will be removed
- 4.0.0: site/family methods code2encodings and code2encoding will be removed in favour of encoding/endcodings methods
- 4.0.0: Methods deprecated for 6 years or longer will be removed
- 3.0.20200508: Page.getVersionHistory and Page.fullVersionHistory() methods will be removed (T136513, T151110)
- 3.0.20200306: Support of MediaWiki releases below 1.19 will be dropped (T245350)
Code of Conduct
The development of this software is covered by a Code of Conduct.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pywikibot-4.0.0.tar.gz (509.3 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|