A minimal feed reader library.
reader is a Python feed reader library.
It aims to allow writing feed reader applications without any business code, and without enforcing a dependency on a particular framework.
reader allows you to:
- retrieve, store, and manage Atom, RSS, and JSON feeds
- mark entries as read or important
- add tags and metadata to feeds
- filter feeds and articles
- full-text search articles
- write plugins to extend its functionality
- skip all the low level stuff and focus on what makes your feed reader different
…all these with:
- a stable, clearly documented API
- excellent test coverage
- fully typed Python
What reader doesn’t do:
- provide an UI
- provide a REST API (yet)
- depend on a web framework
- have an opinion of how/where you use it
The following exist, but are optional (and frankly, a bit unpolished):
- a minimal web interface
- that works even with text-only browsers
- with automatic tag fixing for podcasts (MP3 enclosures)
- a command-line interface
$ pip install reader[search]
>>> from reader import make_reader >>> >>> reader = make_reader('db.sqlite') >>> reader.add_feed('http://www.hellointernet.fm/podcast?format=rss') >>> reader.update_feeds() >>> >>> entries = list(reader.get_entries()) >>> [e.title for e in entries] ['H.I. #108: Project Cyclops', 'H.I. #107: One Year of Weird', ...] >>> >>> reader.mark_as_read(entries) >>> >>> [e.title for e in reader.get_entries(read=False)] ['H.I. #107: One Year of Weird', 'H.I. #106: Water on Mars', ...] >>> [e.title for e in reader.get_entries(read=True)] ['H.I. #108: Project Cyclops'] >>> >>> reader.enable_search() >>> reader.update_search() >>> >>> for e in list(reader.search_entries('year'))[:3]: ... title = e.metadata.get('.title') ... print(title.value, title.highlights) ... H.I. #107: One Year of Weird (slice(15, 19, None),) H.I. #52: 20,000 Years of Torment (slice(17, 22, None),) H.I. #83: The Best Kind of Prison ()
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size reader-1.16-py3-none-any.whl (118.3 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size reader-1.16.tar.gz (1.4 MB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|