A terminal string styling library
Note: This document is best viewed on github. Pypi's headers are all caps which presents inaccurate information"
Table of Contents
- Features included from js version of Chalk
- Features omitted
What is it?
A terminal string styling library for python. It implements a subset of Sindre Sorhus' chalk (which is for js).
chalk.green.bold("success") prints like you'd expect in the console.
Why create it?
I'm also new to python so this was a good way to learn.
Why the subset of features?
I only use chalk for very simple purposes so I left out things like 256 colors.
$ pip install simple_chalk
from simple_chalk import chalk, green # both of these are the same print(chalk.green("success")) print(green("success")) # chained print(green.bold("success")) # assign combinations success = green.bold.underline print(success("we did it!")) # last color wins print(green.red("this is red")) # background and foreground colors are separate whyNot = green.bgWhite.red.bgGray print(whyNot("this is red text with a gray background"))
simple_chalk exports the following
chalk (string) => string
- A singleton that can be used instead of importing the colors and styles directly.
chalkand all exported colors/styles are chainable callables. When called, they take a single string argument and return a string wrapped in the appropriate ascii color codes.
newChalk () => Chalk
- You probably don't need this, but it creates a new chalk instance in case another library is misbehaving.
The following colors are exported
- blackBright (also 'gray' and 'grey')
Each color also has a camel-cased
bg equivalent. e.g.
Finally the following miscellaneous styles are exported
hub clone olsonpm/py_simple-chalk cd py_simple-chalk python runTests.py
Features included from js version of Chalk
- chainable api
- same color names (with added aliases)
** Features marked with
* are ones I'd pull in should someone create a PR.
- 256 colors and TrueColor support
- multiple arguments, and thus nested styles
- *color support detection
- *blue -> blueBright auto conversion on windows
- *ability to disable
- *modifiers other than the miscellaneous styles noted above.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size simple_chalk-0.1.0.tar.gz (13.9 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|