Softwarefabrica Django Wiki
.. admonition:: About this document
This document provides an overview of what Softwarefabrica Django Wiki is.
What is this?
This is a flexible wiki application for the `Django`_ web framework.
This is meant to be used as a component in developing full-fledged wiki
applications, but it also provides a fully working stand-alone application.
Your help and feedback is precious. Suggestions and contributions are very much
appreciated. See below on how you can contribute.
If you want to actively collaborate and provide code, documentation, tests or
bug fixes, please feel free to create a new Bazaar branch in Launchpad, and tell
us about it! See the collaboration_ section for more information.
.. _`Django`: http://www.djangoproject.com
- *standard* markup, based on `Markdown`_
- *attachment support*
- automatically creates backups of all page changes (*full history*)
- **multiple wikis**
- **hierarchycal wikis**
- **hierarchycal pages**
- *unicode support*
- **remote wiki synchronization** support (you can work on your wikis on mobile, disconnected, devices)
- *structured documents* support, with links for *previous*, *next* and *upper* pages
- easy access to *linked* and *linking* pages
- fast **search** functionality
- **download** of pages in *text* and *HTML* formats
- easily embeddable in other `Django`_ applications
- *TWiki* import tool
- fully working *complete* demo application included
- *PDF* generation
- *RSS feed* for recent changes
- *page templates*
- download of a **whole** wiki in HTML
- advanced *ACL* support
.. _`Markdown`: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
.. _`Django`: http://www.djangoproject.com
.. _`forms library`: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/forms/
Pre-requisites and installation
See the `installation guide document`_.
.. _`installation guide document`: install.html
How can I contribute?
As said, your help is precious. We'll warmly appreciate any help you'll want to
give. Just using this library is a reward for us, but if you want to become more
actively involved, you are welcome!
The project has a `development home page`_ at `LaunchPad`_:
There you can file `bugs`_, suggest `enhancements`_, follow development or ask
to become an active `team`_ member.
You can checkout the development branch using `Bazaar`_:
bzr branch lp:sf-django-wiki
We'll appreciate very much if you'll want to contribute back any changes. Just
register your branch with `LaunchPad`_ and tell us!
Source code can also be browsed `online`_.
.. _`development home page`: https://launchpad.net/sf-django-wiki
.. _`LaunchPad`: http://launchpad.net
.. _`Bazaar`: http://bazaar-vcs.org/
.. _`online`: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~softwarefabrica/sf-django-wiki/trunk/changes
.. _`Softwarefabrica`: https://edge.launchpad.net/softwarefabrica
.. _`team`: https://edge.launchpad.net/softwarefabrica
.. _`bugs`: https://bugs.launchpad.net/sf-django-wiki
.. _`enhancements`: https://bugs.launchpad.net/sf-django-wiki
It's possible to contact the author by e-mail at the following addresses:
m.pantaleoni at softwarefabrica.org
panta at elasticworld.org
marco.pantaleoni at gmail.com
This software is covered by the GNU General Public License version 2.
If you want to use this software in a closed source application, you
need to buy a commercial license from the author.
This open source version is:
Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Marco Pantaleoni. All rights reserved.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
published by the Free Software Foundation.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
2009-10-21 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* integrated find_package_data() by Ian Bicking from
This should solve package issues with python 2.6
(specifically lack of templates in egg).
2008-12-19 Marco Pantaleoni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* added doc bundle generation.
* docs/install.txt: improved installation instructions.
2008-12-17 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* docs/install.txt: fixed typo.
Fixed another typo.
* setup.py: Added missing dependency on BeautifulSoup.
2008-12-16 Marco Pantaleoni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Makefile (commit): added 'commit' target, which updates
launchpad bzr repo.
* docs/install.txt: added info about jscalendar.
* removed demo.db
(WikiParser.markup_parse): Removed bogus reference to obsolete
* BIG CHANGE. Complete reorganization of the source, switched to
nested package layout (`softwarefabrica.django.wiki`),
re-organized demo project, added documentation, created setuptools
based distribution. Also fixed some bugs.
2008-11-24 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* switched to 'softwarefabrica.django.utils'
2008-10-22 Marco Pantaleoni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* testproj/static_media/css/wiki-screen.css: CSS changes.
* templates/wiki/base.html: switched to perfect 3-column layout
2008-10-09 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* models.py (Wiki.homepage): it's now possible to specify an home
page for a Wiki.
2008-09-26 Marco Pantaleoni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* testproj/importer/twiki-import.py: added support for attachments.
* testproj/importer/twiki-import.py: great code reorganization.
* wikiparse.py (wikiparse): correctly handle unicode and markdown.
* wikiparse.py (parse_wiki_tags): fixed and added detailed wiki
links and attachments.
* urls.py: generalized urls.
* testproj/importer/twiki-import.py: greatly improved, added write
to DB. Now it is almost complete.
* templates/wiki/search_results.html: now pagecontents point to
* templates/wiki/base.html: changed DOCTYPE switching from xhtml
to html, switched to utf8
* sanitize.py (sanitize_html): generalized.
* models.py: added an HACK to support correct handling of 'linked'
ManyToMany when not using forms.
2008-09-25 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* fixed default parent separator in models get_parent.
Small layout and css change.
* added linked pages and linked by boxes to the sidebar
* added linked and referenced pages to PageContent model, and
handled properly in save() and wiki filter.
2008-09-24 Marco Pantaleoni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* attachments are now saved in a path referring to the page UUID
instead of the name.
* now it's possible to go to a specific revision from the history
* moved info about page content rev. and dates to history page.
* page history now uses pagelink.
* moved 'add attachment' link to page icons box.
Small css change.
* limited recently modified pages to current wiki, when
* added 'txt' and 'HTML' download links for pages.
* simplified left sidebar.
* wiki links css changes.
* fixed 'wiki' templatetag (sanitized text before markdown processing).
* added wikimenu templatetag, which generates a hierarchical menu.
* fixed missing closing HTML tags for page text in search results
and page history (using truncate_html instead of truncate).
* added icons for edit and new page in page detail.
2008-09-22 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* added 'wikilink' and 'pagelink' templatetags (removing the
'get_hier_href()' functions from models.)
* added initial rough support for sub-wikis and sub-pages
in url handling and views.
* added publish, publish_from, publish_to fields.
Added sub-wiki and sub-page support to db models.
2008-09-20 Marco Pantaleoni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Improved search, adding search in pages and wikis.
* implemented a basic search functionality.
2008-09-19 Marco Pantaleoni <email@example.com>
* Added initial attachment support.
Fixed some related names for foreign keys.