Derive publish dates of Statements of Persons Nominated for UK elections
Given the polling day of an election in the UK, when should the Statement of Persons Nominated (SoPN) be published?
When an election is called in the United Kingdom, the voting public must have access to the list of candidates who have been nominated to that post.
These documents are called Statements of Persons Nominated, and must be published a set number of working days ahead of the actual election date. The number varies based on:
- Type of Post - Parliamentary, Local, devolved Government, etc.
- Country - The United Kingdom has up to four different rules for the same type of election, one for each country.
- Calendar - each country has their own unique set of Bank Holidays.
This library encapsulates timetable legislation for elections run in the United Kingdom and its devolved administrations.
from sopn_publish_date import StatementPublishDate from datetime import date publish_date = StatementPublishDate() print(publish_date.national_assembly_for_wales(date(2016, 5, 5))) # datetime.date(2016, 4, 7)
Hosted by readthedocs at https://sopn-publish-date.readthedocs.io/
pip install sopn_publish_date
python -m pytest -v
Supported Election Types
- United Kingdom Parliament
- Scottish Parliament
- National Assembly for Wales
- Northern Ireland Assembly
- Mayoral (London)
- European Parliament
- Greater London Assembly
- Police and Crime commissioner
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.