A simple tool for extracting sprites from full frames. Useful for AI projects.
A simple tool for extracting sprites from full frames. Useful for AI projects. Made using Python 3, Kivy, pillow and numpy.
pip install spritex
After running this command spritex command should be accessible from terminal.
For development and git cloning
There is install.sh which will create a symbolic link from “bin/spritex” to “/usr/local/bin” folder. Which enables spritex command to be executed from terminal.
You can install dependencies via pip:
pip install -r requirements.txt --upgrade
You can install dependencies via pacman.
sudo pacman -S python-pillow python-kivy python-numpy
You can open image files through spritex path.png. If you use SDL2 backend you can drag and drop image files on to application window.
- Toggle grid: Shows pixel grid when zoomed in.
- Zoom should be at least 8 screen pixels = 1 image pixel.
- Select region: Allows you to select a rectangular region in image via
mouse drag and drop.
- After a region selected roughly, it is possible to fine tune by arrow keys.
- Copy Region to Clipboard: Copies the selected region coordinates to clipboard in (y1,x1,y2,x2) format.
- Without any modifiers arrow keys will move selection around by 1 px.
- With Ctrl modifier selection will grow on bottom and right side by 1 px.
- With Alt modifier selection will grow on top and left side by 1 px.
- With shift modifier all operations will do 5px.
- Sprite: will create an image from selection into same folder of
- Useful at creating training data for ANN classifiers.
- Unique colors: will extract unique colors of the selection relative
to rest of the image. Output will be (unique color count)x1 image and
will be saved into same folder with source.
- Useful at locating simple objects that represented by unique colors from screen frame.
- Unique sprite: will extract an image that is same size of selection
but unique colors only.
- Useful at locating simple objects that represented by unique colors at unique positions from screen frame.
- Transparent sprite: will extract an transparent image from multiple
images of same folder. Mismatching pixels will be discarded and
- Useful at extracting exact sprite. When background is animating but sprite is not moving.
Dynamically updates the selection window with selected operation. Useful for previewing the output.