An unofficial wrapper around the TD Ameritrade HTTP API.
What is tda-api?
tda-api is an unofficial wrapper around the TD Ameritrade APIs. It strives to be as thin and unopinionated as possible, offering an elegant programmatic interface over each endpoint. Notable functionality includes:
- Login and authentication
- Quotes, fundamentals, and historical pricing data
- Options chains
- Streaming quotes and order book depth data
- Trades and trade management
- Account info and preferences
How do I use tda-api?
For a full description of tda-api’s functionality, check out the documentation. Meawhile, here’s a quick getting started guide:
Before you do anything, create an account and an application on the TD Ameritrade developer website. You’ll receive an API key, also known as a Client Id, which you can pass to this wrapper. You’ll also want to take note of your callback URI, as the login flow requires it.
Next, install tda-api:
pip install tda-api
You’re good to go! To demonstrate, here’s how you can authenticate and fetch daily historical price data for the past twenty years:
from tda import auth, client import json token_path = '/path/to/token.pickle' api_key = 'YOUR_API_KEY@AMER.OAUTHAP' redirect_uri = 'https://your.redirecturi.com' try: c = auth.client_from_token_file(token_path, api_key) except FileNotFoundError: from selenium import webdriver with webdriver.Chrome() as driver: c = auth.client_from_login_flow( driver, api_key, redirect_uri, token_path) r = c.get_price_history('AAPL', period_type=client.Client.PriceHistory.PeriodType.YEAR, period=client.Client.PriceHistory.Period.TWENTY_YEARS, frequency_type=client.Client.PriceHistory.FrequencyType.DAILY, frequency=client.Client.PriceHistory.Frequency.DAILY) assert r.status_code == 200, r.raise_for_status() print(json.dumps(r.json(), indent=4))
Why should I use tda-api?
tda-api was designed to provide a few important pieces of functionality:
- Safe Authentication: TD Ameritrade’s API supports OAuth authentication, but too many people online end up rolling their own implementation of the OAuth callback flow. This is both unnecessarily complex and dangerous. tda-api handles token fetch and refreshing for you.
- Minimal API Wrapping: Unlike some other API wrappers, which build in lots of logic and validation, tda-api takes raw values and returns raw responses, allowing you to interpret the complex API responses as you see fit. Anything you can do with raw HTTP requests you can do with tda-api, only more easily.
Why should I not use tda-api?
As excellent as TD Ameritrade’s API is, there are a few popular features it does not offer:
- Unfortunately, the TD Ameritrade API does not seem to expose any endpoints around the papermoney simulated trading product. tda-api can only be used to perform real trades using a TD Ameritrade account. Note: trades made through the API appear in thinkorswim and vice versa.
- The API only supports trading in equities, mutual funds, ETFs, and options (both simple contracts and complex composite positions). Futures and futures options trading is not supported, although data is provided.
- Historical options pricing data is not available.
We have a Discord server! You can join to get help using tda-api or just to chat with interesting people.
tda-api is released under the MIT license.
Disclaimer: tda-api is an unofficial API wrapper. It is in no way endorsed by or affiliated with TD Ameritrade or any associated organization. Make sure to read and understand the terms of service of the underlying API before using this package. This authors accept no responsibility for any damage that might stem from use of this package. See the LICENSE file for more details.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size tda_api-1.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (78.8 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size tda-api-1.2.0.tar.gz (74.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for tda_api-1.2.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl