AMQP 1.0 Client Library for Python
Wheels are provided for most major operating systems, so you can install directly with pip:
$ pip install uamqp
If you are running a Linux distro that does not support ManyLinux1, you can install from source:
$ apt-get update $ apt-get install -y build-essential libssl-dev uuid-dev cmake libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config python3-dev python3-pip $ pip3 install uamqp --no-binary
Python 2.7 support
Reference documentation can be found here: docs.microsoft.com/python/api/uamqp/uamqp.
In order to run the code directly, the Cython extension will need to be build first.
- Windows: Setup a build environment.
- Linux: Install dependencies as descriped above in the installation instructions.
- MacOS: Install cmake using Homebrew:
$ brew install cmake
Building the extension
This project has two C library dependencies. They are vendored in this repository in these versions:
To build, start by creating a virtual environment and installing the required Python packages:
$ python -m venv env $ env/Scripts/activate (env)$ pip install -r dev_requirements.txt
Next, run the build command:
$ python setup.py built_ext --inplace
The tests can be run from within the virtual environment. The extension must be built first using the instructions above.
If you encounter any bugs or have suggestions, please file an issue in the Issues section of the project.
This project welcomes contributions and suggestions. Most contributions require you to agree to a Contributor License Agreement (CLA) declaring that you have the right to, and actually do, grant us the rights to use your contribution. For details, visit https://cla.microsoft.com.
When you submit a pull request, a CLA-bot will automatically determine whether you need to provide a CLA and decorate the PR appropriately (e.g., label, comment). Simply follow the instructions provided by the bot. You will only need to do this once across all repos using our CLA.
- Reduced CPU load during idle receive.
- Updated Azure uAMQP C and Azure C Shared Utility dependencies.
- Fixed additional bugs in setting MessageProperties as string or bytes.
- Removed auth locking to prevent locking issues on keyboard interrupt.
- Added some more checks in place to prevent lock hanging on a keybaord interrupt.
- Fixed bug in setting MessageProperties.subject as string or bytes.
uamqp.send_messagenow returns a list of
uamqp.constants.MessageStateto indicate the success of each message sent.
Behaviour change When a SendClient or SendClientAsync is shutdown, any remaining pending messages (that is messages in the states
WaitingForSendAck) will no longer be cleared, but can be retrieved from a new attribute
SendClient.pending_messagesin order to be re-processed as needed.
Behaviour change The function
SendClient.queue_messagenow allows for queueing multiple messages at once by simply passing in additional message instances:
send_client.queue_message(message_1, message_2, message_3)
An authentication object will now raise a
ValueErrorif one attempts to use it for more than one connection.
_asyncmodule to non-private
async_opsto allow for docs generation.
Reformatted logging for better performance.
Added additional logging.
- Fixed potential crashing in bindings for amqpvalue.
- Fixed bindings fault in cbs PUT token complete callback.
- Updated uAMQP-C.
- Added additional auth and connection locking for thread/async safety.
- Increased INFO level logging.
- Removed platform deinitialization until it can be improved.
- Added handling for a connection reaching a client-caused error state.
MessageSender.send_asynchas been renamed to
MessageSenderAsync.send_asyncis now a coroutine.
Breaking change Removed
detach_receivedcallback argument from MessageSender, MessageReceiver, MessageSenderAsync, and MessageReceiverAsync in favour of new
Added ErrorPolicy class to determine how the client should respond to both generic AMQP errors and custom or vendor-specific errors. A default policy will be used, but a custom policy can be added to any client by using a new
error_policyargument. Value must be either an instance or subclass of ErrorPolicy.
error_policyargument has also been added to MessageSender, MessageReceiver, Connection, and their async counterparts to allow for handling of link DETACH and connection CLOSE events.
- The error policy passed to a SendClient determines the number of message send retry
attempts. This replaces the previous
constants.MESSAGE_SEND_RETRIESvalue which is now deprecated.
- Added new ErrorAction object to determine how a client should respond to an error. It has
retry(a boolean to determine whether the error is retryable),
backoff(an integer to determine how long the client should wait before retrying, default is 0) and
increment_retries(a boolean to determine whether the error should count against the maximum retry attempts, default is
increment_retriesare only considered for message send failures.
VendorLinkDetachexceptions for non-standard (unrecognized) connection/link errors.
Added support for HTTP proxy configuration.
Added support for running async clients synchronously.
Added keep-alive support for connection - this is a background thread for a synchronous client, and a background async function for an async client. The keep-alive feature is disabled by default, to enable, set the
keep_alive_intervalargument on the client to an integer representing the number of seconds between connection pings.
Added support for catching a Connection CLOSE event.
Added support for
ConnectionAsync.sleep_asyncto pause the connection.
Added support for surfacing message disposition delivery-state (with error information).
constants.ErrorCodesenum to map standard AMQP error conditions. This replaces the previous
constants.ERROR_LINK_REDIRECTwhich are now both deprecated.
Added new super error
AMQPErrorfrom which all exceptions inherit.
MessageHandlerErrorexception, a subclass of
AMQPConnectionError, for Senders/Receivers that enter an indeterminate error state.
MessageExceptionis now a subclass of
ClientMessageErrorexception, a subclass of
MessageExceptionfor send errors raised client-side.
Catching Link DETACH event will now work regardless of whether service returns delivery-state.
Fixed bug where received messages attempting to settle on a detached link crashed the client.
Fixed bug in amqp C DescribedValue.
Fixed bug where client crashed on deallocating failed management operation.
- Removed circular dependency in Python 3.4 with types.py/utils.py
- When a header properties is not set, returns
Nonerather than raising ValueError.
- Fixed bug in receiving messages with application properties.
- Fixed bug in error handling for CBS auth to invalid hostname.
- Changed C error logging to debug level.
- Bumped uAMQP C version to 1.2.7
- Fixed memory leaks and deallocation bugs with Properties and Annotations.
Breaking change Submodule
asynchas been renamed to the internal
_async. All asynchronous classes in the submodule can now be accessed from uamqp or uamqp.authentication directly.
Breaking change Anything returned by a callback supplied to receive messages will now be ignored.
Breaking change Changed message state enum values:
Complete -> SendComplete
Failed -> SendFailed
WaitingForAck -> WaitingForSendAck
Added new message state enum values:
Breaking change Changes to message settlement exceptions:
- Combined the
MessageModifiedto be in keeping with the AMQP specification.
MessageRejectedwhich now takes
descriptionarguments rather than
- Combined the
errors.LinkDetachexception as new subclass of
AMQPConnectionErroras a wrapped for data in a Link DETACH dispostition.
errors.LinkRedirectas a specific subclass of
LinkDetachto decode the specific redirect fields of a Link Redirect response.
errors.MessageAlreadySettledexception for operations performed on a received message that has already returned a receipt dispostition.
A received Message can now be explicitly settled through a set of new functions on the message:
Message.modify(failed:bool, deliverable:bool, annotations:dict)
auto_completeis set to
Falsethen all messages must be explicitly “accepted” or “rejected” by the user otherwise they will timeout and be released. The default is
True, which is the exiting behaviour for each receive mechanism:
- Received messages processed by callback (
ReceiveClient.receive_messages()) will be automatically “accepted” if no explicit response has been set on completion of the callback.
- Received messages processed by batch (
ReceiveClient.receive_message_batch()) will by automatically “accepted” before being returned to the user.
- Received messages processed by iterator (
ReceiveClient.receive_message_iter()) will by automatically “accepted” if no explicit response has been set once the generator is incremented.
- Received messages processed by callback (
Added new methods to clients and connections to allow to redirect to an alternative endpoint when a LinkRedirect exception is raised. The client redirect helper cannot be used for clients that use a shared connection - the clients must be closed before the connection can be redirected. New credentials must be supplied for the new endpoint. The new methods are:
Receiverclasses to pass in callback to run on Link DETACH.
Removed automatic char encoding for strings of length 1, and added
types.AMQPCharfor explicit encoding.
Bumped uAMQP C version to 1.2.5
Bumped Azure C Shared Utility to 1.1.5
Fixed memory leaks in MessageProperties, MessageHeader and message annotations.
- Fixed import error in async receiver.
- Exposed sender/receiver destroy function.
- Moved receiver.open on_message_received argument to constructor.
- Removed sasl module and moved internal classes into authentication module.
- Added encoding parameter everywhere where strings are encoded.
- Started documentation.
- Updated uAMQP-C to 1.2.4 and C Shared Utility to 1.1.4 (includes fix for issue #12).
- Fixed return type of MgmtOperation.execute - now returns ~uamqp.message.Message.
- Made AMQP connection/session/sender/receiver types in a client overridable.
- Added debug trace to management operations.
- Fixed error in management callback on failed operation.
- Default AMQP encoding of bytes is now a String type and a bytearray is a Binary type.
- Added AMQP Array type and fixed Long type range validation.
headerargument to Message and BatchMessage for setting a MessageHeader.
- Fixed MessageHeader attribute setters.
- Added Certifi as a depedency to make OpenSSL certs dynamic.
verifyoption to authentication classes to allow setting custom certificate path (for Linux and OSX).
- Fixed memory leak in async receive.
- Removed close_on_done argument from client receive functions.
- Added receive iterator to synchronous client.
- Made async iter receive compatible with Python 3.5.
- Fixed SSL errors in manylinux wheels.
- Fixed message annoations attribute.
- Fixed bugs in batched messages and sending batched messages.
- Fixed conflicting receiver link ID.
- Fixed hanging receiver by removing queue max size in sync clients.
- Added support for sending messages with None and empty bodies.
- Added message send retry.
- Added timeouts and better error handling for management requests.
- Improved connection and auth error handling and error messages.
- Fixed message annotations type.
- SendClient.send_all_messages() now returns a list of message send statuses.
- Fixed OpenSSL platform being initialized multiple times.
- Fixed auto-refresh of SAS tokens.
receive_batchbehaviour to return messages as soon as they’re available.
- Fixed message
- Removed MacOS dependency on OpenSSL and libuuid.
- Added management request support.
- Fixed message-less C operation ValueError.
- Store message metadata in Python rather than C.
- Refactored Send and Receive clients to create a generic parent AMQPClient.
- Fixed None receive timestamp bug.
- Removed async iterator queue due to instabilities - all callbacks are now synchronous.
- Added support for asynchronous message receive by iterator or batch.
- Removed synchronous receive iterator, and replaced with synchronous batch receive.
- Added sync and async context managers for Send and Receive Clients.
- Fixed token instability and added put token retry policy.
- Exposed Link ATTACH properties.
- A connection now has a single $cbs session that can be reused between clients.
- Added C debug trace logging to the Python logger (‘uamqp.c_uamqp’)
- Exposed OPEN performative properties for connection telemetry.
- Exposed setters for message.message_annotations and message.application_properties.
- Made adjustments to connection open and close to facilitate sharing a connection object between send/receive clients.
- Support for username/password embedded in connection URI.
- Clients can now optionally leave connection/session/link open for re-use.
- Updated build process and installation instructions.
- Various bug fixes to increase stability.
- Initial release
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.