Convert unittest test-cases to pytest
unittest2pytest is a tool that helps rewriting Python
test-cases into pytest test-cases.
In contrast to other similar tools, this
- handles keyword arguments,
- handles single-line test-cases and several tests on one line,
- uses context-handlers where appropriate.
This is done by using lib2to3 and Python’s mighty inspect module.
To install unittest2pytest, simply run:
pip install unittest2pytest
To print a diff of changes that unittest2pytest will make against a particular source file or directory:
To have those changes written to the files:
unittest2pytest -w source_folder
To have those changes written to another directory:
unittest2pytest -w source_folder --output-dir /some/where/else
By default, this will create backup files for each file that will be
changed. You can add the
-n option to not create the backups. Please
do not do this if you are not using a version control system.
For more options about running particular fixers, run unittest2pytest --help or read the lib2to3 documentation. This tool is built on top of that one.
A list of the available fixers can be found with the following:
$ unittest2pytest -l Available transformations for the -f/--fix option: remove_class self_assert
Note: if your tests use the context managers with self.assertRaises or with self.assertWarns, they will be transformed to pytest.raises or pytest.warns appropriately, but because the semantics are different, any use of the output value from the context managers (e.g. the x in with pytest.raises(ValueError) as x:) will be wrong and will require manual adjustment after the fact.
- Add support for assertRaises / assertWarns context managers.
- Add support for converting lambda arguments in assertRaises into context managers.
- Fix some incorrect transformations.
- Internal cleanup and fixes.
- Add support for assertRegex/assertRegexpMatches, assertNotRegex, assertRaisesRegex/assertRaisesRegexp, assertWarnsRegex.
unittest2pytestis now a
- Minor fixes.
- Initial release