**Tired of Python's `UnicodeDeocodeError, ascii codec can't decode?`**
Here's how to fix it, once and for all.
1. `$ pip install utf8forgood`
2. in your main program, add
If you like it, make the change permanent in your sitecustomize.py:
To find the path to `sitecustomize.py`, run `python -m site` or read up on
the [site-specific configuration hook].
In general to the above, the fastest remedy is probably trying out the following, in this order:
1. Use `PYTONIOENCODING=UTF-8 python /path/to/program.py`
2. Use the [`sys.setdefaultencoding`] hack. That is, unless you care [what others say]
3. Write your own import function to [convert data] appropriately, which is generally the [recommended way].
After [much consideration] and trying option 3 I finally concluded that option 2
is the straight forward way and usually [just does what you want], on the off-chance of [getting yourself in trouble].
TODO: Brief introduction on what you do with files - including link to relevant help section.