Small Development Web Server
This is a small web server for development or sharing purposes.
It allows to serve through HTTP any directory in your machine.
It is based on Python famous
SimpleHTTPServer and it only depends on a
Python 2.7 interpreter and the standard library.
In contrast to SimpleHTTPServer this development web server:
- Allows the serving folder can be passed as the first positional argument. Defaults to current directory.
- Will respond with 404 if the serving folder is removed; instead of crashing.
- Will return back to normal operation if the folder is recreated. Very useful with build systems that perform clean actions.
- Bind IP can be specified in case security is a must while developing.
As with SimpleHTTPServer this web server can:
- Specify binding port.
- List directories.
- Serve index.html or index.html automatically as the directory entry.
pip install webdev
$ webdev --help usage: webdev [-h] [-v] [--version] [-i IP] [-p PORT] [-f] [-r RANGE] [-u] [path] Development Web Server positional arguments: path Path to serve. Default: Current directory. optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit -v, --verbose Increase verbosity level --version show program's version number and exit -i IP, --ip IP IP to bind to. Default: 0.0.0.0 -p PORT, --port PORT Port to listen to. Default: 8080. -f, --force-port Force the use of the given port. -r RANGE, --range RANGE Number of ports to try from the base port -u, --future Ignore if the folder to server doesn't exists yet
- Added support for Python 3 (issue #5).
- Added support for incremental automatic port selection (issue #2).
- Added the --future flag that allows the webserver to serve a non-existent folder, assuming it will be created in the future (issue #3).
- Ctrl+C is now handled (issue #4).
- Initial release.
Copyright (C) 2015-2016 Carlos Jenkins <email@example.com> Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.