Tool to auto-download new playlist entries.
This tool knows how to poll for changes to playlist(s) and to then download the physical videos for the new items automatically (using youtube-dl).
- More than one playlist can be provided.
- The state is recorded for each playlist during each call. This is how the differences are calculated.
- Uses python-googleautoauth for authentication.
- Will gracefully accommodate multiple instances being run concurrently.
$ pip install youtube-autodownloader
The first time you run, you will have to build new credentials. The automatic-authentication flow will automatically run and open a browser window. To specifically run just the authorization, run:
This works best in a desktop environment. Manual-authorization helper scripts are also provided to support console-only environment.
Since YouTube does not enforce uniqueness for playlist names, you are required to provide playlist IDs rather than names.
Example of finding a playlist ID using a playlist name:
$ ytad_search_playlists Animals PLxaR7YEkaI0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxacWvmEih $ ytad_search_playlists Special PLxaR7YEkaI0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxr1gs86gE
Example of checking for and downloading new videos (“-p” is a playlist-ID, “-dp” is the download-path):
$ ytad_autodownload -p PLxaR7YEkaI0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxr1gs86gE -dp "/storage/videos/$(date '+\%Y')/Special" Lion Vs Mongoose: Mongoose Fends Off Four Lions - Playlist: Special - ID: 1TPn1-SJqVM - Download time: 9s - Filename: 20140902 - Lion Vs Mongoose - Mongoose Fends Off Four Lions (1TPn1-SJqVM).mp4 - Size: 22.1M Slow loris loves getting tickled http://bit.ly/14qLq8x - Playlist: Special - ID: PZ5ACLVjYwM - Download time: 3s - Filename: 20090426 - Slow loris loves getting tickled http -_bit.ly_14qLq8x (PZ5ACLVjYwM).webm - Size: 3.1M
To run the tests:
The tests will require user interaction with the browser.
- If you do not wish to download the videos the first time that you run this command, omit the download-path parameter. This will just build the local database. Otherwise, all videos from the playlist will download. This might not be desireable for your use-case.
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
Hashes for youtube-autodownloader-0.2.6.tar.gz