A client side encrypted pastebin
0bin: a client side encrypted pastebin
0bin is a pastebin that encrypts the user content in the browsder and can run without a database.
0bin allows anybody to host a pastebin while welcoming any type of content to be pasted in it. The idea is that one can (probably…) not be legally entitled to moderate the pastebin content as they have no way to decrypt it.
To run zerobin, download zerobin.pyz from the latest release then:
0bin requires Python 3.7 or higher.
You may need to type
py -3.7 zerobin.pyz on Windows, or
python3.7 zerobin.pyz on Mac/Linux, depending on your configuration.
If you are familiar with the Python ecosystem, you can also
python -m pip install zerobin --user and run
python -m zerobin for the same effect.
How it works
When creating the paste:
- the browser generates a random key;
- the pasted content is encrypted with this key using AES256;
- the encrypted pasted content is sent to the server;
- the browser receives the paste URL and adds the key in the URL hash (#).
When reading the paste:
- the browser makes the GET request to the paste URL;
- because the key is in the hash, the key is not part of the request;
- browser gets the encrypted content end decrypts it using the key;
- the pasted decrypted content is displayed and sourcecode is highlighted.
- because the key is in the hash, the key is never sent to the server;
- therefore it won’t appear in the server logs;
- all operations, including code coloration, happen on the client-side;
- the server is no more than a fancy recipient for the encrypted data.
- automatic code coloration (no need to specify the language);
- pastebin expiration: 1 day, 1 month or never;
- burn after reading: the paste is destroyed after the first reading;
- clone paste: you can’t edit a paste, but you can duplicate any of them;
- code upload: if a file is too big, you can upload it instead of using copy/paste;
- copy paste to clipboard in a click;
- own previous pastes history;
- reader mode;
- 0bin uses several HTML5/CSS3 features that are not widely supported. In that case we handle the degradation as gracefully as we can.
- The pasted content size limit check is not accurate. It’s just a safety net, so we think it’s ok.
We cannot accept contributions for the moment, and will ignore PR.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size zerobin-1.0.5-py3-none-any.whl (1.7 MB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|