AsyncSSH: Asynchronous SSHv2 client and server library
AsyncSSH is a Python package which provides an asynchronous client and server implementation of the SSHv2 protocol on top of the Python 3.4+ asyncio framework.
import asyncio, asyncssh, sys async def run_client(): async with asyncssh.connect('localhost') as conn: result = await conn.run('echo "Hello!"', check=True) print(result.stdout, end='') try: asyncio.get_event_loop().run_until_complete(run_client()) except (OSError, asyncssh.Error) as exc: sys.exit('SSH connection failed: ' + str(exc))
Check out the examples to get started!
- Full support for SSHv2, SFTP, and SCP client and server functions
- Shell, command, and subsystem channels
- Environment variables, terminal type, and window size
- Direct and forwarded TCP/IP channels
- OpenSSH-compatible direct and forwarded UNIX domain socket channels
- Local and remote TCP/IP port forwarding
- Local and remote UNIX domain socket forwarding
- Dynamic TCP/IP port forwarding via SOCKS
- X11 forwarding support on both the client and the server
- SFTP protocol version 3 with OpenSSH extensions
- SCP protocol support, including third-party remote to remote copies
- Multiple simultaneous sessions on a single SSH connection
- Multiple SSH connections in a single event loop
- Byte and string based I/O with settable encoding
- A variety of key exchange, encryption, and MAC algorithms
- Support for gzip compression
- Including OpenSSH variant to delay compression until after auth
- Password, public key, and keyboard-interactive user authentication methods
- Many types and formats of public keys and certificates
- Including support for X.509 certificates as defined in RFC 6187
- Support for accessing keys managed by ssh-agent on UNIX systems
- Including agent forwarding support on both the client and the server
- Support for accessing keys managed by PuTTY’s Pageant agent on Windows
- OpenSSH-style known_hosts file support
- OpenSSH-style authorized_keys file support
- Compatibility with OpenSSH “Encrypt then MAC” option for better security
- Time and byte-count based session key renegotiation
- Designed to be easy to extend to support new forms of key exchange, authentication, encryption, and compression algorithms
This package is released under the following terms:
Copyright (c) 2013-2018 by Ron Frederick <email@example.com>. All rights reserved.
This program and the accompanying materials are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 which accompanies this distribution and is available at:
For more information about this license, please see the Eclipse Public License FAQ.
To use asyncssh, you need the following:
- Python 3.4 or later
- cryptography (PyCA) 1.1 or later
Install AsyncSSH by running:
pip install asyncssh
There are some optional modules you can install to enable additional functionality:
- Install bcrypt from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bcrypt if you want support for OpenSSH private key encryption.
- Install gssapi from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gssapi if you want support for GSSAPI key exchange and authentication on UNIX.
- Install libsodium from https://github.com/jedisct1/libsodium and libnacl from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/libnacl if you want support for curve25519 Diffie Hellman key exchange, ed25519 keys, and the chacha20-poly1305 cipher.
- Install libnettle from http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/nettle/ if you want support for UMAC cryptographic hashes.
- Install pyOpenSSL from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOpenSSL if you want support for X.509 certificate authentication.
- Install pypiwin32 from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypiwin32 if you want support for using the Pageant agent or support for GSSAPI key exchange and authentication on Windows.
AsyncSSH defines the following optional PyPI extra packages to make it easy to install any or all of these dependencies:
For example, to install bcrypt, gssapi, libnacl, and pyOpenSSL on UNIX, you can run:
pip install 'asyncssh[bcrypt,gssapi,libnacl,pyOpenSSL]'
To install bcrypt, libnacl, pyOpenSSL, and pypiwin32 on Windows, you can run:
pip install 'asyncssh[bcrypt,libnacl,pyOpenSSL,pypiwin32]'
Note that you will still need to manually install the libsodium library listed above for libnacl to work correctly and/or libnettle for UMAC support. Unfortunately, since libsodium and libnettle are not Python packages, they cannot be directly installed using pip.
Installing the development branch
If you would like to install the development branch of asyncssh directly from Github, you can use the following command to do this:
pip install git+https://github.com/ronf/asyncssh@develop
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|asyncssh-1.13.0-py3.5.egg (606.9 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Egg||3.5||May 20, 2018|
|asyncssh-1.13.0.tar.gz (293.4 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||May 20, 2018|