An async GitHub API library
An asynchronous GitHub API library.
Gidgethub is available on PyPI.
python3 -m pip install gidgethub
The key goal is to provide a base library for the GitHub API which performs no I/O of its own (a sans-I/O library). This allows users to choose whatever HTTP library they prefer while parceling out GitHub-specific details to this library. This base library is then built upon to provide an abstract base class to a cleaner API to work with. Finally, implementations of the abstract base class are provided for asynchronous HTTP libraries for immediate usage.
If you think you want a different approach to the GitHub API, GitHub maintains a list of libraries.
Aside: what’s with the name?
I couldn’t think of a good name that was somehow a play on “GitHub” or somehow tied into Monty Python. And so I decided to play off of GitHub’s octocat as a theme and use my cat’s name, Gidget, as part of the name. Since “Gidget” somewhat sounds like “git”, I decided to go with “gidgethub”.
- Tighten type hints for parameters that have a default of None but were not typed as Optional.
- Tweak code to not change semantics but reach 100% coverage.
- Provide a human-readable string representation of gidgethub.sansio.RateLimit.
- Use the message data as the error message if the errors object was not returned.
- Add the data keyword argument to gidgethub.abc.GitHubAPI.delete.
- Tighten up protections against caching ineligible responses.
- Expand gidgethub.routing.Router.dispatch().
- Add support for application/x-www-form-urlencoded webhook event payloads. (This also allows for API calls to return this content type, although GitHub currently does not do that.)
- Introduce gidgethub.routing to help route webhook events to registered asynchronous callbacks.
- Add type hints.
- Add a cache argument to gidgethub.abc.GitHubAPI.
- Introduce gidgethub.tornado to support Tornado (thanks to Matthias Bussonnier and A. Jesse Jiryu Davis for the PR reviews).
- The default value for the data argument of gidgethub.abc.GitHubAPI.put() was changed from "" to b"".
- All type hints were removed (due to mypy not supporting yield in an async function, they were not being tested as being valid).
- Renamed gidgethub.abc._sleep() to sleep() to make the method public.
- Renamed the “test” extra to “tests” and added the “dev” extra.
- Introduced the RateLimitExceeded exception.
- Methods on GitHubAPI no longer automatically sleep when it’s possible that the call will exceed the user’s rate limit (it’s now up to the user to prevent from going over the rate limit).
- Made the [treq] install extra depend on Twisted[tls].
- gidgethub.sansio.Event.from_http() raises a BadRequest of 415 instead of 400 when a content-type other than application/json is provided.
- More robustly decode the body in gidgethub.sansio.Event.from_http() (i.e. if the content-type doesn’t specify charset, assume UTF-8).
- Changed the signature of gidgethub.sansio.Event to accept Any for the data argument.
- Fixed signature verification.
- Introduced gidgethub.treq (thanks to Cory Benfield).
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|gidgethub-2.5.0.post1-py3-none-any.whl (26.5 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||py3||Mar 23, 2018|
|gidgethub-2.5.0.post1.tar.gz (23.8 kB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None||Mar 23, 2018|