Grok: Now even cavemen can use Zope 3!
What is grok?
Grok is a smashing web framework based on Zope Toolkit technology.
Grok uses the Component Architecture and builds on Zope concepts like content objects (models), views, and adapters. Its simplicity lies in using convention over configuration and sensible defaults when wiring components together. That means neither a configuration language like ZCML nor a lot of repetition are needed to create a web application with grok.
You can find out much more about Grok at our http://grok.zope.org website.
Who is grok?
Grok is a friendly caveman from the Stone Age. He has a big club that he hunts mammoths with. He will also use this club to smash anything he doesn’t like.
“ME GROK SMASH ZCML!”
The easiest way to get started with grok is to install the grokproject package (e.g. via easy_install grokproject) and then create a new project area by calling the grokproject script like so:
$ grokproject MyProject ... many lines of output here
This will create a project area in MyProject as well as download and install grok.
You can also get grok from the subversion repository:
svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/grok/trunk grok
Then follow the instructions of INSTALL.txt.
- Expose grok.ignore to allow not grokking something in a module.
- Replace the use of grok.implements() with the @grok.implementer() directive throughout.
- Python 3 compatibility.
- Advertise the LazyAnnotation and LazyAnnotationProperty.
- Update tests.
Note: There are a couple of changes that breaks backward compatibility with older versions.
- Advertise the install_on directive from grokcore.site.
- Replace ApplicationInitializedEvent with ApplicationAddedEvent from grokcore.site.
- Introduce a new event DatabaseCreatedEvent which is triggered only one time when the database is created. For existing application upgrade to this new version, an event will still be send at the time of the upgrade.
- Replace grok.util.create_application with the one from grokcore.site.util. It is now importable directly from grok.
- Advertise the ObjectEditedEvent from grokcore.content.
- Add grok.queryAnnotation() and grok.deleteAnnotation() from grokcore.annotation.
- Fixed application_url() calls to use keyword arguments where the API defines keyword arguments.
- Fix brown paper bag release where not all resources were included. Again.
- Fix brown paper bag release where not all resources were included.
- Update grok.util.application_url() to work correctly with grokcore.view.util.url().
- Make sure the correct layout is retrieved for layout aware form components too.
- Import the grokcore.layout.layout directive into the grok namespace too.
- Update version requirements.
- Split off the Application component and the local_utility directive to grokcore.site. A backwards compatibility import for Application is left in place.
- Split off the catalog and indexing components from grok into grokcore.catalog.
- The permissions() directive, the Permission component and the Role component moved from grok to grokcore.security. The grok package imports these component, so they can still be accessed through the grok api.
- Added imports for querySubscriptions(), queryMultiSubscriptions(), queryOrderedSubscriptions() and queryOrderedMultiSubscriptions() functions that complement the Subscriptions and MultiSubscriptions components.
- Incorporate grokcore.chameleon and have it configured by default.
- Expose the Layout, Page, AddFormPage, EditFormPage, DisplayFormPage and FormPage components that are brought by grokcore.layout. The grok variants mixin application_url() and flash() functionality typically found in grok’s viewish components.
- Expose the ExecptionPage, NotFoundPage and UnauthorizedPage component from grokcore.layout.
- Expose the ContentProvider component from grokcore.view
- Declare the name “index” as default view name for error views.
- Directly depend on zope.app.wsgi and configure it too to have the useful IResult adapters for (temporary) files registered.
- Import grokcore.component.global_adapter too.
- Fix tests that relied on older versions of zope.testbrowser.
- Added grok.index.Value component.
- Added import for Subscription and MultiSubscription components.
- Fix tests now that error views no longer by default provide ISystemErrorView.
- Should’ve listed IApplication as part of the grok API too.
- Grok should still provide IApplication in the grok API, even now that it got moved to grokcore.site.interfaces.
- Define error view baseclasses for IException, INotFound and IUnauthorized errors: grok.ExceptionView, grok.NotFoundView, grok.UnauthorizedView. Lifts the indirect dependency on zope.app.http and zope.app.exception.
- Moved the XMLRPC, REST component into separate packages grokcore.xmlrpc and grokcore.rest. Consequently the custom traverse components that Grok defined were moved to grokcore.traverser. Grok the-python-package acts more and more like an import-hub.
- To build the docs we now use collective.recipe.sphinxbuilder instead of our own, early hack (get rid of grokdocs subpackage). Buildout now generates grokdocs2html and grokdocs2pdf which should do what you think they do.
- The IApplication interface, and getApplication() moved to grokcore.site.
- The IGrokSecurityView interface has been to grokcore.view.
- The make_checker util function has been moved to grokcore.view.
- The base publisher has been moved to grokcore.view as an optional feature : security_publication.
- The JSON component and grokker are now moved to grokcore.json. Grok now depends on this new grokore package.
- Update to latest martian and grokcore.component.
- Grok tutorial example projects updated.
- Documentation updates in preparation for the Grok Toolkit 1.2 release.
- Use zc.buildout-1.5.2.
- No changes were necessary.
- Grok and the Grok Toolkit now use zc.buildout-1.5.1 that should simplify Grok’s installation story significantly. It is now possible to use a system Python installation for installing Grok. This obsoletes the virtualenv requirement.
- Grok and the Grok Toolkit will use the ZTK-1.0 release. Note though that several package versions are overridden to include bugfix releases.
- Various dependencies have been updated.
- Removed z3c.testsetup-specific test collector from grok.testing. You can still use z3c.testsetup with grok, but have to declare the dependency in your project’s setup.py explicitly.
- The grok.View component now uses the grokcore.message package for its flash method.
- Grok test zcml now explicitly sets a defaultView name (to index.html). This has been added since we no longer depend on packages such as zope.app.zcmlfiles, that used to take care of that configuration step.
- Internationalization of title and description of roles are not lost anymore.
- create_application now raises a KeyError, in cases of key duplication, to match the zope.container behavior. Tests have been adapted accordingly.
- Added KeyError error handling to the existing DuplicationError, to fit the zope.container changes. Tests have been adapted accordingly.
- Make use of the groktoolkit 1.1.1 that includes several bugfix releases
of Grok’s dependencies such as:
- zope.password, where the SSHAPasswordManager was fixed.
- zope.publisher, that fixes the long standing XML-RPC “hanging” bug.
- Cleanups in the buildout parts.
- Remove zope.app.twisted.
- Add zope.pluggablauth as a dependency.
- Now using grokcore.content for the base content types : Model, Container and OrderedContainer.
- Lifted the dependency on zope.app.authentication and depend on zope.password instead.
- Lifted dependencies on deprecate packages zope.app.error and zope.app.securitypolicy and zope.app.session.
Beside these changes lot of work has been undertaken to remove as much dependencies on “older” zope.app.* packages as possible from Grok itself and from the dependencies of Grok. This work is not complete yet.
- Updated z3c.recipe.compattest’s version and used it for a bin/compattest that tests grok and all its dependencies.
- Add grok.getApplication() that, similar to grok.getSite() retrieves the “nearest” enclosing grok.Application object.
- Use zope.container instead of zope.app.container.
- Use zope.catalog instead of zope.app.catalog.
- Use zope.intid instead of zope.app.intid.
- Use zope.keyreference instead of zope.app.keyreference.
- This release depends on grokcore.view 1.13a1.
- Add ZTK support (currently ZTK 1.0dev).
- Grokdocs now uses ZTK pinned versions.
- The grok.permissions(), that is used in the grok.Role component now accepts references to grok.Permission class, not just permission ids. This behaviour is now symetrical to the grok.require() directive.
- Added an util function, create_application, to create an application and trigger the correct events during the process.
- Grok now provides an application-centric event to complete the zope.lifecycle ones. This event, ApplicationInitializedEvent, is destined to be trigged after the application has been added to a container. At this particular step, the application is considered safe for additional content to be created.
- Use grokcore.site and grokcore.annotation instead of builtins implementations.
- Update the reference to mention zope.View.
- Update the reference to mention direct references to permissions in grok.require and grok.permissions in grok.Role.
- Fix documentation bug where virtualenv wasn’t explained correctly.
- Remove the grok.View permission declaration in etc/site.zcml.in, should have gone in 1.0b2 already
Removed IReRaiseException adapter registration for IUnauthorized again in favor of using grokcore.startup’s configurable``debug_application_factory`` WSGI application factory function.
Use newer versions of simplejson and pytz.
See: upgrade_notes_1.0b2 for special notes on upgrading to this release.
Revert back to an older version of grokui.admin that has not seen any changes related to the grok.View permission and the View/CodeView split and still has the introspector that is removed from newer versions.
grokcore.view, grokcore.viewlet and grokcore.formlib and Grok itself have been updated to undo the View/CodeView split that we had temporarily introduced in the development versions after Grok 1.0a4. This means the behavior of grok.View is unchanged from Grok 1.0a4. Nothing to see here!
Changed the default permission to zope.View instead of zope.Public. This means a modification needs to be made to your site.zcml if you’re upgrading an existing Grok-based project. See the upgrade notes for more information.
Bump used zope.app.wsgi version (now: 3.4.2) to support product-configs in zope.conf files with paster. Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/220440
Default location for Data.fs and logfiles of grok’s sample application is now var/filestorage/ and var/log/ instead of parts/data/ and parts/log/.
Bump used z3c.testsetup version (now: 0.4). Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/395125
Added zope.publisher.interfaces.IReRaiseException adapter for IUnauthorized exceptions. Closes https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/332061
Removed docutils and Pygment from versions.cfg. Both are pinned in grokdocs subpackage. Closes https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/340170
Corrected Content-type; JSON views now report ‘application/json’.
updated zope.publisher dependency to 3.4.8 (fix paster.httpserver related bugs in XMLRPC, PUT)
switched buildout to paster based template (like grokproject default) https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/307197
changed interpreter name from ‘python’ to ‘grokpy’.
Restructured the upgrade and change documentation so that they now get generated into separate files by Sphinx
- This release happened but never really was fully completed. See the release notes for 1.0b2 instead.
- Pin grokcore.view to 1.7.
- Import zope.app.container interfaces from their actual definition not from a re-import.
- JSON views now report a Content-type: text/json. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/362902
- Pin grokui.admin to 0.3.2
- Pin grokcore.view to 1.5.
- Pin grokcore.component to 1.6.
- Documentation and doc string updates.
- Pin grokui.admin to 0.3.
- Pin grokcore.view to 1.4.
- Synced versions.cfg with the latest KGS release available at: http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/3.4.0/versions.cfg
- Expose IBeforeTraverseEvent for import in the grok namespace.
See: upgrade_notes_1.0a1 for special notes on upgrading to this release.
- Introduced grok.interfaces.IGrokSecurityView, a marker interface which non-Grok views can use to state that they want to be handled like regular Grok views by the Grok publisher.
- Expose the DirectoryResource component from grokcore.view and the accompanying path directive.
- Similar to the layers and skins restructuring, the grok.RESTProtocol baseclass has been removed in favour of a grok.restskin(name) directive that can be used on REST layer interfaces. Introduced the IRESTLayer base interfaces for defining REST layers.
- Besides our extensive existing documentation, we have also started to add a lot of docstrings to the Grok source code so it becomes easier to understand.
- Have GrokForm define an empty actions attribute by default, in order for “action-less” forms to work easily.
- Allow the grok.layer() directive on JSON components. Closes https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/310558
- Close a bad security hole (also fixed in 0.14.1 and other releases). See http://grok.zope.org/blog/security-issue-in-grok-please-upgrade
- Viewlet-related base classes and helpers have been moved out to a grokcore.viewlet package which Grok now depends on.
See: upgrade_notes_0.14 for special notes on upgrading to this release.
- Grok now officially supports Python 2.5 and still supports Python 2.4.
- Merged the versions from the zope 3.4c7 KGS (known good set): http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/versions-3.4.0c7.cfg So we are now using the latest Zope 3 releases for all Zope packages.
- The grok.admin subpackage has been factored out to a separate package grokui.admin. To have the Grok admin UI available in your environment, add grokui.admin to the required packages in the setup.py of your package.
- Removed grok.Skin baseclass in favour of a grok.skin(name) directive that can be used on layer interfaces. Also removed the IGrokLayer interface in favour of exposing IBrowserRequest from the grok package.
- Security-related directives and helpers have been moved out to a grokcore.security package.
- View-related base classes, directives and grokkers have been moved out to a grokcore.view package.
- Form-related base classes and helpers have been moved out to a grokcore.formlib package.
Replace zope.deprecation.tests.warn with grok.testing.warn to:
- Make the signature identical to warnings.warn
- To check for *.pyc and *.pyo files.
When zope.deprecation is fixed this warn() function can be removed again. Makes all the tests pass under Python-2.5.
See: upgrade_notes_0.13 for special notes on upgrading to this release.
- The basic component base classes (Adapter, MultiAdapter, GlobalUtility), their grokkers, as well as many of the basic directives have been factored out to a reusable grokcore.component package.
- Ported directives to Martian’s new directive implementation. As a result, many helper functions that were available from grok.util were removed. The functionality is mostly available from the directives themselves now.
- Refactored class grokkers to make use of Martian’s new declarative way for retrieving directive data from classes, and Martian’s new declarative way to write grokkers. See upgrade_notes_0.13 for more information.
GrokTemplate sets up the namespaces for the template by calling default_namespace() ``on the view component the template is associated with. As a result, ``ViewletManagers and Viewlet can now push in the viewletmanager and viewlet namespaces into the template.
Updated tutorial section about grokproject to fit the latest changes.
Added grok.traversable directive for easy traversal to attributes and methods.
grok.require() can refer to subclasses of grok.Permission directly, instead of their id. This, for one, avoids making typos in permission ids. Permission components do still need the grok.name() directive for defining the permission’s id.
Added an optional parameter data to the method url() that accepts a dictionary that is then converted to a query string. See
Added an OrderedContainer component.
Introduced the new sphinx-based documentation engine. See grokdocs/README.txt for details.
Merged the versions from the 3.4 KGS (known good set): http://download.zope.org/zope3.4/versions-3.4.0c1.cfg
We are now using the latest Zope 3 releases for all Zope packages. See upgrade_notes_0.13 for more information.
Added support for easier test setup based on z3c.testsetup. This is a more stable and more powerful implementation of grok.testing.register_all_tests(). See
There is now a new IContext interface available. If you make your class implement that interface, it (and its subclasses) will be candidates for being a context in a module (for automatic context lookup if grok.context is not present). This relies on a feature introduced in grokcore.component 1.1.
grok.Model implements grok.interfaces.IContext now (which is imported from grokcore.component). grok.Container now implements grok.interfaces.IContainer. Traversers and default views have been set up for these interfaces, so that new implementations that function as a model or container can be easily created. Just use grok.implements(IContainer) or grok.implements(IContext). This is useful for Grok extensions that want to implement new content classes.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/226555: the url() method on ViewletManager and Viewlet has been removed now that there’s easy access to the view component the viewlet(manager) is registered for.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/231106: Use the viewletmanager.sort() method for sorting viewlets by using util.sort_components().
- grok.REST views now have a properly set __parent__ attribute and will correctly allow acquisition from parent objects, as it’s used by the security policy for acquiring local grants, for example.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/229677: zope.app.securitypolicy egg missing. Now zope.app.securitypolicy 3.4.6 is additionally required by Grok and fetched by buildout.
- Removed first testsetup hack from grok.testing.
- Version 2.1 of z3c.autoinclude contained code that caused Grok to fail to start on some platforms if the system-supplied Python was used (at least on some versions of Ubuntu and Debian). Now include version 2.2 of z3c.autoinclude which should fix this problem. This fix was also made on Grok 0.12 in its online versions list after release.
- Port fix of zope.formlib to correctly adapt the context to a FormField’s interface, not the field.
See: upgrade_notes_0.12 for special notes on upgrading to this release.
The new release needs new version of grokproject, please do:
$ easy_install -U grokproject
Added testsetup classes in grok.testing to improve easy setup of unit- and functional tests.
Add support for viewlets and viewlet managers, grok.Viewlet and grok.ViewletManager.
Add a new directive, grok.order(), which can be used to help sort components. At the time it is not used yet, but we intend to use it for the viewlets support. Note that this means Grok now requires Martian 0.9.3 or higher. See grok.interfaces for more documentation on this directive.
Now depend on z3c.autoinclude. This allows the use of the <includeDependencies package="."/> directive, which automatically loads up ZCML needed for the dependencies listed in your project’s setup.py. The new release of grokproject adds this line automatically. Upgrade grokproject to make use of this functionality in new projects:
$ easy_install -U grokproject
Classes that end with “-Base” are no longer implicitly considered base classes. These classes need to have the grok.baseclass() directive added to them explicitly.
See upgrade_notes_0.12 for more information.
- Do not register the publishTraverse and browserDefault methods of the JSON component as views.
- Methods with names that start with an ‘_’ are not registered as views for XMLRPC, REST and JSON components.
- Use a configuration action for the registration of the static directory.
- Fix imports from zope.app.securitypolicy.
- Grok does not raise a GrokError anymore when it finds unassociated templates, but will issue a UserWarning.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/161948: grok.testing.grok() now also loads the ZPT template factories so that unit tests that need to configure views with ZPT templates continue to work.
- Changed a few remaining references to grok.grok and grok.grok_component to their correct equivalents in grok.testing.
- grok.testing.grok_component() could not be used in a pure doctest. This needed a bugfix in Martian (since 0.9.2). Add a test that demonstrates this problem.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/162437: grok.Form and its subclasses did not implement IBrowserView.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/185414: grok introspector was broken for zipped eggs.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/125720: server control form had shutdown as default action, even when entering an admin message.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/80403: Fix situation where a module name is identical to the package name. At least modules with templates can now have same name as their package.
- Multiple skins and REST protocols could be registered under the same name, but this is actually a conflict. Now give configuration conflict error when someone tries this.
- Overriding traversal behavior using the traverse() method or grok.Traverser failed in the face of (REST) PUT and DELETE. XML-RPC also failed when custom traversal was in use.
- Fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/grok/+bug/187590 where config action discriminators for permission and role registrations were incorrect.
- Permission definitions received the wrong, too high, configure action priority (not to be confused with grokker priority). In some cases this caused permissions to be defined later than they were used. Use a low action priority instead for permissions.
- Refactor commonalities out of meta.py.
- zope.app.securitypolicy is no longer used. zope.securitypolicy provides all securitypolicy features used by Grok.
See: upgrade_notes_0.11 for special notes on upgrading to this release.
- Integrated skins and layers: grok.layer, grok.IGrokLayer, grok.Skin.
- Grok now supports hooking in new template languages without much work. See also doc/minitutorials/template-languages.txt. See Restructuring below for more techinical info.
- Accessing a template macro via context/@@the_view/the_template is now deprecated for the standard ZPT story of using context/@@the_view/macro/the_template.
- There is now a grok.direct() directive that can be used on GlobalUtilities to mark that the class provides the utility interface directly and need no instantiation.
- Removed grok.define_permission in favor of the grok.Permission component base class. You should now subclass this base class to define permissions. See also doc/minitutorials/permissions.txt
- Added the grok.Role component base class to define roles.
- The admin UI now displays and offers deletion of broken objects.
- Removed support for defining model schemas using an inner class with the special name fields. This was abandoned in favor the usual Zope 3 way of defining schemas in interfaces and implementing them in our Grok models.
- Integrated REST support. See doc/minitutorials/rest.txt for usage information.
- Remove zc.recipe.egg, zc.recipe.filestorage, zc.recipe.testrunner, zc.zope3recipes from version requirements.
- The admin UI now shows interfaces in modules.
- handle... is not a special function name anymore.
- Views no longer need a custom AbsoluteURL view to determine their URL, since each instance now properly gets a __name__ attribute.
- buildout.cfg extends versions.cfg to pin down the versions of the dependency tree. See also http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/readme.html
- Grokkers now emit configuration actions, much like ZCML directive handlers do. If you defined custom grokkers, see upgrade_notes_0.11 for more information.
- The new pluggable template language support includes some restructuring:
- GrokPageTemplate is now split up into two. BaseTemplate, on which all templates need to be based, and GrokTemplate, which also provides a set of methods for easy integration of templating languages.
- All objects based on GrokTemplate are now grokked, instead of having separate grokkers for each type of template.
- The View is now completely template-language agnostic, which makes it easy to hook in new page template languages.
- There are now new interfaces (ITemplate and ITemplateFileFactory) used when you implement support for a new templating language.
- Changed the way grok’s functional tests are set up. Instead of each test case doing its own test setup, it is now done once by the ftesting layer. This avoids ordering problems when some ftests would influence the environment of other ftests that were run later in time.
- Remove zc.recipe.egg, zc.recipe.filestorage, zc.recipe.testrunner, zc.zope3recipes from version requirements.
- Require zope.app.error = 3.5.1
buildout.cfg extends versions.cfg to pin down the versions of the dependency tree. This should avoid the situation where we release Grok, some dependency changes, and Grok breaks as a result. In conjunction with this we will also be releasing a new version of grokproject that will use this version infrastructure by default.
For more information about this change, see: http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/readme.html
- Integrated admin user interface.
- Configuration using Martian (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/martian).
- Flash message infrastructure included.
- Adjust dependencies for Grok so that grokproject should work on Windows.
- A fix in Martian where multiple grok.Model or grok.Container classes could result in something being found as a context twice.
0.9 series (early 2007 until July 2007)
Grok was released in “continuous release” mode from SVN during this period.
0.1 series (September 2006 until early 2007)
Grok was created in September 2006.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size grok-3.1.tar.gz (78.9 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|