A code generator for array-based code on CPUs and GPUs
Loopy lets you easily generate the tedious, complicated code that is necessary to get good performance out of GPUs and multi-core CPUs.
Places on the web related to Loopy:
Python package index (download releases) Note the extra ‘.’ in the PyPI identifier!
Documentation (read how things work)
Github (get latest source code, file bugs)
Wiki (read installation tips, get examples, read FAQ)
Loopy’s core idea is that a computation should be described simply and then transformed into a version that gets high performance. This transformation takes place under user control, from within Python.
It can capture the following types of optimizations:
- Vector and multi-core parallelism in the OpenCL/CUDA model
- Data layout transformations (structure of arrays to array of structures)
- Loopy Unrolling
- Loop tiling with efficient handling of boundary cases
- Prefetching/copy optimizations
- Instruction level parallelism
- and many more
Loopy targets array-type computations, such as the following:
- dense linear algebra,
- n-body interactions,
- PDE solvers, such as finite element, finite difference, and Fast-Multipole-type computations
It is not (and does not want to be) a general-purpose programming language.
Loopy is licensed under the liberal MIT license and free for commercial, academic, and private use. All of Loopy’s dependencies can be automatically installed from the package index after using:
pip install loo.py
In addition, Loopy is compatible with and enhances pyopencl.