MIDI Objects for Python
Mido is a library for working with MIDI messages and ports:
>>> import mido >>> msg = mido.Message('note_on', note=60) >>> msg.type 'note_on' >>> msg.note 60 >>> msg.bytes() [144, 60, 64] >>> msg.copy(channel=2) Message('note_on', channel=2, note=60, velocity=64, time=0)
port = mido.open_output('Port Name') port.send(msg)
with mido.open_input() as inport: for msg in inport: print(msg)
mid = mido.MidiFile('song.mid') for msg in mid.play(): port.send(msg)
Full documentation at https://mido.readthedocs.io/
- works in Python 2 and 3.
- convenient message objects.
- supports RtMidi, PortMidi and Pygame. New backends are easy to write.
- full support for all 18 messages defined by the MIDI standard.
- standard port API allows all kinds of input and output ports to be used interchangeably. New port types can be written by subclassing and overriding a few methods.
- includes a reusable MIDI stream parser.
- full support for MIDI files (read, write, create and play) with complete access to every message in the file, including all common meta messages.
- can read and write SYX files (binary and plain text).
- implements (somewhat experimental) MIDI over TCP/IP with socket ports. This allows for example wireless MIDI between two computers.
- includes programs for playing MIDI files, listing ports and serving and forwarding ports over a network.
1.2 is the third stable release.
Mido targets Python 3.6 and 2.7.
pip install mido
If you want to use ports:
pip install python-rtmidi
See docs/backends/ for other backends.
Mido is released under the terms of the MIT license.
Questions and suggestions
For questions and proposals which may not fit into issues or pull requests, we recommend to ask and discuss on Discussions.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size mido-1.2.10.tar.gz (103.1 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size mido-1.2.10-py2.py3-none-any.whl (51.1 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for mido-1.2.10-py2.py3-none-any.whl