pip installs packages. Python packages. An easy_install replacement
$ pip install simplejson [... progress report ...] Successfully installed simplejson
Upgrading a package:
$ pip install --upgrade simplejson [... progress report ...] Successfully installed simplejson
Removing a package:
$ pip uninstall simplejson Uninstalling simplejson: /home/me/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simplejson /home/me/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/simplejson-2.2.1-py2.7.egg-info Proceed (y/n)? y Successfully uninstalled simplejson
Next release (1.3) schedule
Beta and final releases planned for the end of 2012.
- Fixed a regression introduced in 1.2 about raising an exception when not finding any files to uninstall in the current environment. Thanks for the fix, Marcus Smith.
- Dropped support for Python 2.4 The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.5.
- Fixed issue #605 - pypi mirror support broken on some DNS responses. Thanks philwhin.
- Fixed issue #355 - pip uninstall removes files it didn’t install. Thanks pjdelport.
- Fixed issues #493, #494, #440, and #573 related to improving support for the user installation scheme. Thanks Marcus Smith.
- Write failure log to temp file if default location is not writable. Thanks andreigc.
- Pull in submodules for git editable checkouts. Fixes #289 and #421. Thanks Hsiaoming Yang and Markus Hametner.
- Use a temporary directory as the default build location outside of a virtualenv. Fixes issues #339 and #381. Thanks TC01.
- Added support for specifying extras with local editables. Thanks Nick Stenning.
- Added --egg flag to request egg-style rather than flat installation. Refs issue #3. Thanks Kamal Bin Mustafa.
- Fixed issue #510 - prevent e.g. gmpy2-2.0.tar.gz from matching a request to pip install gmpy; sdist filename must begin with full project name followed by a dash. Thanks casevh for the report.
- Fixed issue #504 - allow package URLS to have querystrings. Thanks W. Trevor King.
- Fixed issue #58 - pip freeze now falls back to non-editable format rather than blowing up if it can’t determine the origin repository of an editable. Thanks Rory McCann.
- Added a __main__.py file to enable python -m pip on Python versions that support it. Thanks Alexey Luchko.
- Fixed issue #487 - upgrade from VCS url of project that does exist on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
- Fixed issue #486 - fix upgrade from VCS url of project with no distribution on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
- Fixed issue #427 - clearer error message on a malformed VCS url. Thanks Thomas Fenzl.
- Added support for using any of the built in guaranteed algorithms in hashlib as a checksum hash.
- Fixed issue #321 - Raise an exception if current working directory can’t be found or accessed.
- Fixed issue #82 - Removed special casing of the user directory and use the Python default instead.
- Fixed #436 - Only warn about version conflicts if there is actually one. This re-enables using ==dev in requirements files.
- Moved tests to be run on Travis CI: http://travis-ci.org/pypa/pip
- Added a better help formatter.
- Fixed issue #326 - don’t crash when a package’s setup.py emits UTF-8 and then fails. Thanks Marc Abramowitz.
- Added --target option for installing directly to arbitrary directory. Thanks Stavros Korokithakis.
- Added support for authentication with Subversion repositories. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
- Fixed issue #315 - --download now downloads dependencies as well. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
- Errors from subprocesses will display the current working directory. Thanks Antti Kaihola.
- Fixed issue #369 - compatibility with Subversion 1.7. Thanks Qiangning Hong. Note that setuptools remains incompatible with Subversion 1.7; to get the benefits of pip’s support you must use Distribute rather than setuptools.
- Fixed issue #57 - ignore py2app-generated OS X mpkg zip files in finder. Thanks Rene Dudfield.
- Fixed issue #182 - log to ~/Library/Logs/ by default on OS X framework installs. Thanks Dan Callahan for report and patch.
- Fixed issue #310 - understand version tags without minor version (“py3”) in sdist filenames. Thanks Stuart Andrews for report and Olivier Girardot for patch.
- Fixed issue #7 - Pip now supports optionally installing setuptools “extras” dependencies; e.g. “pip install Paste[openid]”. Thanks Matt Maker and Olivier Girardot.
- Fixed issue #391 - freeze no longer borks on requirements files with –index-url or –find-links. Thanks Herbert Pfennig.
- Fixed issue #288 - handle symlinks properly. Thanks lebedov for the patch.
- Fixed issue #49 - pip install -U no longer reinstalls the same versions of packages. Thanks iguananaut for the pull request.
- Removed -E/--environment option and PIP_RESPECT_VIRTUALENV; both use a restart-in-venv mechanism that’s broken, and neither one is useful since every virtualenv now has pip inside it. Replace pip -E path/to/venv install Foo with virtualenv path/to/venv && path/to/venv/pip install Foo.
- Fixed issue #366 - pip throws IndexError when it calls scraped_rel_links
- Fixed issue #22 - pip search should set and return a userful shell status code
- Fixed issue #351 and #365 - added global --exists-action command line option to easier script file exists conflicts, e.g. from editable requirements from VCS that have a changed repo URL.
- Fixed docs issues.
- Fixed issue #295 - Reinstall a package when using the install -I option
- Fixed issue #283 - Finds a Git tag pointing to same commit as origin/master
- Fixed issue #279 - Use absolute path for path to docs in setup.py
- Fixed issue #314 - Correctly handle exceptions on Python3.
- Fixed issue #320 - Correctly parse --editable lines in requirements files
- Start to use git-flow.
- Fixed issue #274 - find_command should not raise AttributeError
- Fixed issue #273 - respect Content-Disposition header. Thanks Bradley Ayers.
- Fixed issue #233 - pathext handling on Windows.
- Fixed issue #252 - svn+svn protocol.
- Fixed issue #44 - multiple CLI searches.
- Fixed issue #266 - current working directory when running setup.py clean.
Added Python 3 support! Huge thanks to Vinay Sajip, Vitaly Babiy, Kelsey Hightower, and Alex Gronholm, among others.
Download progress only shown on a real TTY. Thanks Alex Morega.
Fixed finding of VCS binaries to not be fooled by same-named directories. Thanks Alex Morega.
Fixed uninstall of packages from system Python for users of Debian/Ubuntu python-setuptools package (workaround until fixed in Debian and Ubuntu).
Added get-pip.py installer. Simply download and execute it, using the Python interpreter of your choice:
$ curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py $ python get-pip.py
This may have to be run as root.
Make sure you have distribute installed before using the installer!
- Moved main repository to Github: https://github.com/pypa/pip
- Transferred primary maintenance from Ian to Jannis Leidel, Carl Meyer, Brian Rosner
- Fixed issue #14 - No uninstall-on-upgrade with URL package. Thanks Oliver Tonnhofer
- Fixed issue #163 - Egg name not properly resolved. Thanks Igor Sobreira
- Fixed issue #178 - Non-alphabetical installation of requirements. Thanks Igor Sobreira
- Fixed issue #199 - Documentation mentions –index instead of –index-url. Thanks Kelsey Hightower
- Fixed issue #204 - rmtree undefined in mercurial.py. Thanks Kelsey Hightower
- Fixed bug in Git vcs backend that would break during reinstallation.
- Fixed bug in Mercurial vcs backend related to pip freeze and branch/tag resolution.
- Fixed bug in version string parsing related to the suffix “-dev”.
Avoid redundant unpacking of bundles (from pwaller)
Fixed issue #32, #150, #161 - Fixed checking out the correct tag/branch/commit when updating an editable Git requirement.
Fixed issue #49 - Added ability to install version control requirements without making them editable, e.g.:
pip install git+https://github.com/pypa/pip/
Fixed issue #175 - Correctly locate build and source directory on Mac OS X.
Added git+https:// scheme to Git VCS backend.
- Added global –user flag as shortcut for –install-option=”–user”. From Ronny Pfannschmidt.
- Added support for PyPI mirrors as defined in PEP 381, from Jannis Leidel.
- Fixed issue #138 - Git revisions ignored. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson.
- Fixed issue #95 - Initial editable install of github package from a tag fails. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson.
- Fixed issue #107 - Can’t install if a directory in cwd has the same name as the package you’re installing.
- Fixed issue #39 - –install-option=”–prefix=~/.local” ignored with -e. Thanks Ronny Pfannschmidt and Wil Tan.
- Track which build/ directories pip creates, never remove directories it doesn’t create. From Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Pip now accepts file:// index URLs. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Various cleanup to make test-running more consistent and less fragile. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Real Windows support (with passing tests). Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- pip-2.7 etc. scripts are created (Python-version specific scripts)
- contrib/build-standalone script creates a runnable .zip form of pip, from Jannis Leidel
- Editable git repos are updated when reinstalled
- Fix problem with --editable when multiple .egg-info/ directories are found.
- A number of VCS-related fixes for pip freeze, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Significant test framework changes, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Set zip_safe=False to avoid problems some people are encountering where pip is installed as a zip file.
- Fixed opening of logfile with no directory name. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Temporary files are consistently cleaned up, especially after installing bundles, also from Alex Conrad.
- Tests now require at least ScriptTest 1.0.3.
- Fixed uninstallation on Windows
- Added pip search command.
- Tab-complete names of installed distributions for pip uninstall.
- Support tab-completion when there is a global-option before the subcommand.
- Install header files in standard (scheme-default) location when installing outside a virtualenv. Install them to a slightly more consistent non-standard location inside a virtualenv (since the standard location is a non-writable symlink to the global location).
- pip now logs to a central location by default (instead of creating pip-log.txt all over the place) and constantly overwrites the file in question. On Unix and Mac OS X this is '$HOME/.pip/pip.log' and on Windows it’s '%HOME%\\pip\\pip.log'. You are still able to override this location with the $PIP_LOG_FILE environment variable. For a complete (appended) logfile use the separate '--log' command line option.
- Fixed an issue with Git that left an editable packge as a checkout of a remote branch, even if the default behaviour would have been fine, too.
- Fixed installing from a Git tag with older versions of Git.
- Expand “~” in logfile and download cache paths.
- Speed up installing from Mercurial repositories by cloning without updating the working copy multiple times.
- Fixed installing directly from directories (e.g. pip install path/to/dir/).
- Fixed installing editable packages with svn+ssh URLs.
- Don’t print unwanted debug information when running the freeze command.
- Create log file directory automatically. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Make test suite easier to run successfully. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Fixed “pip install .” and “pip install ..”; better error for directory without setup.py. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Support Debian/Ubuntu “dist-packages” in zip command. Thanks duckx.
- Fix relative –src folder. Thanks Simon Cross.
- Handle missing VCS with an error message. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Added –no-download option to install; pairs with –no-install to separate download and installation into two steps. Thanks Simon Cross.
- Fix uninstalling from requirements file containing -f, -i, or –extra-index-url.
- Leftover build directories are now removed. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Fixed import error on Windows with regard to the backwards compatibility package
- Fixed uninstall when /tmp is on a different filesystem.
- Fixed uninstallation of distributions with namespace packages.
- Added support for the https and http-static schemes to the Mercurial and ftp scheme to the Bazaar backend.
- Fixed uninstallation of scripts installed with easy_install.
- Fixed an issue in the package finder that could result in an infinite loop while looking for links.
- Fixed issue with pip bundle and local files (which weren’t being copied into the bundle), from Whit Morriss.
- Add pip uninstall and uninstall-before upgrade (from Carl Meyer).
- Extended configurability with config files and environment variables.
- Allow packages to be upgraded, e.g., pip install Package==0.1 then pip install Package==0.2.
- Allow installing/upgrading to Package==dev (fix “Source version does not match target version” errors).
- Added command and option completion for bash and zsh.
- Extended integration with virtualenv by providing an option to automatically use an active virtualenv and an option to warn if no active virtualenv is found.
- Fixed a bug with pip install –download and editable packages, where directories were being set with 0000 permissions, now defaults to 755.
- Fixed uninstallation of easy_installed console_scripts.
- Fixed uninstallation on Mac OS X Framework layout installs
- Fixed bug preventing uninstall of editables with source outside venv.
- Creates download cache directory if not existing.
- Fixed a couple little bugs, with git and with extensions.
- Added ability to override the default log file name (pip-log.txt) with the environmental variable $PIP_LOG_FILE.
- Made the freeze command print installed packages to stdout instead of writing them to a file. Use simple redirection (e.g. pip freeze > stable-req.txt) to get a file with requirements.
- Fixed problem with freezing editable packages from a Git repository.
- Added support for base URLs using <base href='...'> when parsing HTML pages.
- Fixed installing of non-editable packages from version control systems.
- Fixed issue with Bazaar’s bzr+ssh scheme.
- Added –download-dir option to the install command to retrieve package archives. If given an editable package it will create an archive of it.
- Added ability to pass local file and directory paths to --find-links, e.g. --find-links=file:///path/to/my/private/archive
- Reduced the amount of console log messages when fetching a page to find a distribution was problematic. The full messages can be found in pip-log.txt.
- Added --no-deps option to install ignore package dependencies
- Added --no-index option to ignore the package index (PyPI) temporarily
- Fixed installing editable packages from Git branches.
- Fixes freezing of editable packages from Mercurial repositories.
- Fixed handling read-only attributes of build files, e.g. of Subversion and Bazaar on Windows.
- When downloading a file from a redirect, use the redirected location’s extension to guess the compression (happens specifically when redirecting to a bitbucket.org tip.gz file).
- Editable freeze URLs now always use revision hash/id rather than tip or branch names which could move.
- Fixed comparison of repo URLs so incidental differences such as presence/absence of final slashes or quoted/unquoted special characters don’t trigger “ignore/switch/wipe/backup” choice.
- Fixed handling of attempt to checkout editable install to a non-empty, non-repo directory.
- Make -e work better with local hg repositories
- Construct PyPI URLs the exact way easy_install constructs URLs (you might notice this if you use a custom index that is slash-sensitive).
- Improvements on Windows (from Ionel Maries Cristian).
- Fixed problem with not being able to install private git repositories.
- Make pip zip zip all its arguments, not just the first.
- Fix some filename issues on Windows.
- Allow the -i and --extra-index-url options in requirements files.
- Fix the way bundle components are unpacked and moved around, to make bundles work.
- Adds -s option to allow the access to the global site-packages if a virtualenv is to be created.
- Fixed support for Subversion 1.6.
- Improved virtualenv restart and various path/cleanup problems on win32.
- Fixed a regression with installing from svn repositories (when not using -e).
- Fixes when installing editable packages that put their source in a subdirectory (like src/).
- Improve pip -h
- Added support for editable packages created from Git, Mercurial and Bazaar repositories and ability to freeze them. Refactored support for version control systems.
- Do not use sys.exit() from inside the code, instead use a return. This will make it easier to invoke programmatically.
- Put the install record in Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt (previously they went in site-packages/install-record-Package.txt).
- Fix a problem with pip freeze not including -e svn+ when an svn structure is peculiar.
- Allow pip -E to work with a virtualenv that uses a different version of Python than the parent environment.
- Fixed Win32 virtualenv (-E) option.
- Search the links passed in with -f for packages.
- Detect zip files, even when the file doesn’t have a .zip extension and it is served with the wrong Content-Type.
- Installing editable from existing source now works, like pip install -e some/path/ will install the package in some/path/. Most importantly, anything that package requires will also be installed by pip.
- Add a --path option to pip un/zip, so you can avoid zipping files that are outside of where you expect.
- Add --simulate option to pip zip.
- Fixed small problem that prevented using pip.py without actually installing pip.
- Fixed --upgrade, which would download and appear to install upgraded packages, but actually just reinstall the existing package.
- Fixed Windows problem with putting the install record in the right place, and generating the pip script with Setuptools.
- Download links that include embedded spaces or other unsafe characters (those characters get %-encoded).
- Fixed use of URLs in requirement files, and problems with some blank lines.
- Turn some tar file errors into warnings.
- Renamed to pip, and to install you now do pip install PACKAGE
- Added command pip zip PACKAGE and pip unzip PACKAGE. This is particularly intended for Google App Engine to manage libraries to stay under the 1000-file limit.
- Some fixes to bundles, especially editable packages and when creating a bundle using unnamed packages (like just an svn repository without #egg=Package).
- Added an option --install-option to pass options to pass arguments to setup.py install
- .svn/ directories are no longer included in bundles, as these directories are specific to a version of svn – if you build a bundle on a system with svn 1.5, you can’t use the checkout on a system with svn 1.4. Instead a file svn-checkout.txt is included that notes the original location and revision, and the command you can use to turn it back into an svn checkout. (Probably unpacking the bundle should, maybe optionally, recreate this information – but that is not currently implemented, and it would require network access.)
- Avoid ambiguities over project name case, where for instance MyPackage and mypackage would be considered different packages. This in particular caused problems on Macs, where MyPackage/ and mypackage/ are the same directory.
- Added support for an environmental variable $PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHE which will cache package downloads, so future installations won’t require large downloads. Network access is still required, but just some downloads will be avoided when using this.
- Always use svn checkout (not export) so that tag_svn_revision settings give the revision of the package.
- Don’t update checkouts that came from .pybundle files.
- Improve error text when there are errors fetching HTML pages when seeking packages.
- Improve bundles: include empty directories, make them work with editable packages.
- If you use -E env and the environment env/ doesn’t exist, a new virtual environment will be created.
- Fix dependency_links for finding packages.
- Fixed a NameError exception when running pip outside of a virtualenv environment.
- Added HTTP proxy support (from Prabhu Ramachandran)
- Fixed use of hashlib.md5 on python2.5+ (also from Prabhu Ramachandran)
- Initial release
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size pip-1.2.1.tar.gz (102.4 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|