This package provides a zope.schema style field type called RichText which can be used to store a value with a related MIME type.
The value can be transformed to an output MIME type, for example to transform from structured text to HTML.
To use the field, place it in a schema like so::
from plone.app.textfield import RichText
from zope.interface import Interface
bodyText = RichText(
This specifies the default MIME type of text content as well as the default output type,
and a tuple of allowed types.
All these values are optional.
The default MIME type is 'text/html', and the default output type is 'text/x-html-safe'.
By default, ``allowed_mime_types`` is None,
which means that the side-wide default set of allowable input MIME types will be permitted.
Note that the default value here is set to a Unicode string,
which will be considered to be of the default MIME type.
This value is converted to a ``RichTextValue`` object (see below) on field initialisation,
so the ``default`` property will be an object of this type.
The field actually stores an immutable object of type `plone.app.textfield.value.RichTextValue`.
This object has the following attributes:
The raw value as a Unicode string.
The MIME type of the raw text.
A Unicode string that represents the value transformed to the default output MIME type.
Maybe None if the transformation could not be completed successfully,
but will be cached after it has been successfully transformed once.
The MIME type of the output string.
This is normally copied from the field's ``output_mime_type`` property.
The ``output``, ``mimeType`` and ``outputMimeType`` properties will be stored in the same _p_jar as the parent content object,
whilst the ``raw`` value is stored in a separate persistent object.
This is to optimize for the common case where the ``output`` is frequently accessed when the object is viewed
(and thus should avoid a separate persistent object load),
whereas the ``raw`` value is infrequently accessed
(and so should not take up memory unless specifically requested).
Transformation takes place using an ``ITransformer`` adapter.
The default implementation uses Plone's ``portal_transforms`` tool to convert from one MIME type to another.
Note that ``Products.PortalTransforms`` must be installed for this to work,
otherwise, no default ITransformer adapter is registered.
You can use the ``[portaltransforms]`` extra to add ``Products.PortralTransforms`` as a dependency.
To invoke alternative transformations from a page template,
you can use the following convenience syntax::
<div tal:content="structure context/@@text-transform/fieldName/text/plain"/>
Here ``fieldName`` is the name of the field
(which must be found on ``context`` and contain a ``RichTextValue``).
``text/plain`` is the desired output MIME type.
The package also contains a ``plone.supermodel`` export/import handler,
which will be configured if plone.supermodel is installed.
You can use the ``[supermodel]`` extra to add a ``plone.supermodel`` dependency.
A ``z3c.form`` widget will be installed if `z3c.form`` is installed.
The ``[widget]`` extra will pull this dependency in if nothing else does.
A ``plone.rfc822`` field marshaler will be installed if ``plone.rfc822`` is installed.
The ``[marshaler]`` extra will pull this dependency in if nothing else does.
A ``plone.schemaeditor`` field factory will be installed if ``plone.schemaeditor`` is installed.
The ``editor`` extra will pull this
dependency if nothing else does.
Usage with Simple TextArea
Alternatively, the RichText Field may be used without a WYSIWYG editor displaying a simple TextArea on input,
and formatted output as HTML on display.
In this example, it is expected to have the ``plone.intelligenttext`` transform available.
Also expected is ``plone.autoform`` and ``plone.app.z3cform`` to be installed.
from z3c.form.browser.textarea import TextAreaFieldWidget
from plone.autoform.directives import widget
bodyText = RichText(
Input is a simple text.
At display, an HTML in rendered by the transform and shown.
To show HTML unescaped the output has to be 'text/x-html-safe'.
See field.txt for more details about the field's behavior,
and handler.txt for more details about the plone.supermodel handler.
- Enable the ``RichText`` field to work together with a simple ``ITextAreaWidget``.
Use more zope.interface decorators,
add utf8 headers,
zcml conditions are enough.
- Use zope.interface decorator.
- Fix negative equality bug RawValueHolder and RichTextValue introduced in 1.2.5.
- Add equality check (`__eq__`) for RawValueHolder and RichTextValue;
- Fix marshaler decode to always decode raw value into unicode
- Remove utils.getSiteEncoding, which was deprecated and not used anywhere.
- For Plone 5, support getting markup control panel settings from the registry,
while still supporting normal portal_properties access for Plone < 5.
- Resolved an interesting circular import case, which wasnt effective because
of sort order of imports
* Force WYSIWYG, so when we start with 'text/plain' (or another MIME),
selecting 'text/html' will cause TinyMCE to spring into life.
* Tell Products.TinyMCE what the MIME type is, so it doesn't have to work it out.
- Use closest_content to navigate through the sea of subforms to
find something that we can use portal_url on.
- Do not give an error when the raw value is not unicode and isn't
ascii. In that case, encode as unicode then decode as the proper
string, bang head on desk.
- Do not give an error when the raw value is None. Give an empty
unicode string as output in that case.
* Add support for collective.ckeditor.
* Fix compatibility with Zope 2.12. [davisagli]
* Pass field's max_length to the wysiwyg macro, if it has one.
* Determine which editor's wysiwyg_support template to use from within
widget_input.pt. Fixes support for collective.ckeditor.
* Update getSite import locations.
* Make sure that the display widget absolutizes relative links relative
to the correct context. To facilitate doing this from custom templates,
RichTextValue now has an ``output_relative_to`` helper method which
can be passed a context.
* Fix an issue with the support for plone.schemaeditor.
* Support a ``max_length`` parameter for RichText fields. Input longer
than the max_length does not pass validation.
* Pass some additional context to the wysiwyg_support macro to help with
determining the field's mimetype.
* Changed deprecated getSiteEncoding to hardcoded `utf-8`
1.1 - 2012-02-20
* Provide a version of the RichText field schema for use with
plone.schemaeditor. Only the ``default_mime_type`` field is exposed for
editing through-the-web, with a vocabulary of mimetypes derived from
the ``AllowedContentTypes`` vocabulary in ``plone.app.vocabularies``
(which can be adjusted via Plone's markup control panel).
* Log original exception when a TransformError is raised.
1.0.2 - 2011-11-26
* If no transform path is found: Instead of throwing an exception page
in the face of the user, now return an empty string and log error message.
* Fix infinite recursion bug when source and target mimetype is the
1.0.1 - 2011-09-24
* Make sure the field constraint is validated, if specified.
This closes http://code.google.com/p/dexterity/issues/detail?id=200
* Make sure validation fails if no text is entered for a required field.
This closes http://code.google.com/p/dexterity/issues/detail?id=199
* Wrap the context in the form context, not the site, so that relative links
are generated correctly.
* Avoid duplicating the id of the textarea if the form has no prefix.
* Fix case where editor did not load if the context being edited is a
* Pass through the z3c.form widget's ``rows`` and ``cols`` settings to the
wysiwyg editor macro.
1.0 - 2011-04-30
* Fix failing test.
1.0b7 - 2011-02-11
* Don't persistently cache output. Transforms may depend on outside state
(e.g. the uuid transform.) PortalTransform's caching is imperfect, but it is
time limited. http://code.google.com/p/dexterity/issues/detail?id=151
* Pass context to portal transforms.
1.0b6 - 2010-04-18
* Fix the field schemata so they can be used as the form schema when adding the
field using plone.schemaeditor
* Remove unused lookup of the current member's editor preference. This is
handled by the wysiwyg_support macros.
1.0b5 - 2009-11-17
* Fix an error that could occur if the user did not have an editor preference
* Fix tests on Plone 4.
* Add field factory for use with plone.schemaeditor (only configured if that
package is installed).
1.0b4 - 2009-10-12
* Update README.txt to be in line with reality.
* Fix the @@text-transform view to work with path traversal.
1.0b3 - 2009-10-08
* Add plone.rfc822 field marshaller. This is only configured if that package
1.0b2 - 2009-09-21
* Store the raw value in a separate persistent object in the ZODB instead of
in a BLOB. This avoids potential problems with having thousands of small
BLOB files, which would not be very space efficient on many filesystems.
* Make the RichTextValue immutable. This greatly simplifies the code and
avoids the need to keep track of the parent object.
1.0b1 - 2009-09-17
* Initial release
TODO: Brief introduction on what you do with files - including link to relevant help section.