Python extension computing string distances and similarities.
The Levenshtein Python C extension module contains functions for fast computation of
- Levenshtein (edit) distance, and edit operations
- string similarity
- approximate median strings, and generally string averaging
- string sequence and set similarity
It supports both normal and Unicode strings.
Python 2.2 or newer is required.
StringMatcher.py is an example SequenceMatcher-like class built on the top of Levenshtein. It misses some SequenceMatcher’s functionality, and has some extra OTOH.
Levenshtein.c can be used as a pure C library, too. You only have to define NO_PYTHON preprocessor symbol (-DNO_PYTHON) when compiling it. The functionality is similar to that of the Python extension. No separate docs are provided yet, RTFS. But they are not interchangeable:
- C functions exported when compiling with -DNO_PYTHON (see Levenshtein.h) are not exported when compiling as a Python extension (and vice versa)
- Unicode character type used with -DNO_PYTHON is wchar_t, Python extension uses Py_UNICODE, they may be the same but don’t count on it
gendoc.sh generates HTML API documentation, you probably want a selfcontained instead of includable version, so run in ./gendoc.sh --selfcontained. It needs Levenshtein already installed and genextdoc.py.
Levenshtein can be copied and/or modified under the terms of GNU General Public License, see the file COPYING for full license text.
The project is not under active development as far as the maintainer knows.
- Made python-Lehvenstein Git compatible and use setuptools for PyPi upload
- Created HISTORY.txt and made README reST compatible
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size python-Levenshtein-0.10.2.tar.gz (45.0 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for python-Levenshtein-0.10.2.tar.gz