We have made you a wrapper you can't refuse
We have made you a wrapper you can’t refuse
We have a vibrant community of developers helping each other in our Telegram group. Join us!
Stay tuned for library updates and new releases on our Telegram Channel.
Table of contents
This library provides a pure Python interface for the Telegram Bot API. It’s compatible with Python versions 3.6+. PTB might also work on PyPy, though there have been a lot of issues before. Hence, PyPy is not officially supported.
In addition to the pure API implementation, this library features a number of high-level classes to make the development of bots easy and straightforward. These classes are contained in the telegram.ext submodule.
A pure API implementation without telegram.ext is available as the standalone package python-telegram-bot-raw. See here for details.
Installing both python-telegram-bot and python-telegram-bot-raw in conjunction will result in undesired side-effects, so only install one of both.
Telegram API support
All types and methods of the Telegram Bot API 5.0 are supported.
You can install or upgrade python-telegram-bot with:
$ pip install python-telegram-bot --upgrade
Or you can install from source with:
$ git clone https://github.com/python-telegram-bot/python-telegram-bot --recursive $ cd python-telegram-bot $ python setup.py install
In case you have a previously cloned local repository already, you should initialize the added urllib3 submodule before installing with:
$ git submodule update --init --recursive
PTB can be installed with optional dependencies:
- pip install python-telegram-bot[passport] installs the cryptography library. Use this, if you want to use Telegram Passport related functionality.
- pip install python-telegram-bot[ujson] installs the ujson library. It will then be used for JSON de- & encoding, which can bring speed up compared to the standard json library.
- pip install python-telegram-bot[socks] installs the PySocks library. Use this, if you want to work behind a Socks5 server.
Our Wiki contains a lot of resources to get you started with python-telegram-bot:
Learning by example
We believe that the best way to learn this package is by example. Here are some examples for you to review. Even if it is not your approach for learning, please take a look at echobot.py, it is the de facto base for most of the bots out there. Best of all, the code for these examples are released to the public domain, so you can start by grabbing the code and building on top of it.
This library uses the logging module. To set up logging to standard output, put:
import logging logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG, format='%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s')
at the beginning of your script.
You can also use logs in your application by calling logging.getLogger() and setting the log level you want:
logger = logging.getLogger() logger.setLevel(logging.INFO)
If you want DEBUG logs instead:
python-telegram-bot’s documentation lives at readthedocs.io.
You can get help in several ways:
- We have a vibrant community of developers helping each other in our Telegram group. Join us!
- In case you are unable to join our group due to Telegram restrictions, you can use our IRC channel.
- Report bugs, request new features or ask questions by creating an issue or a discussion.
- Our Wiki pages offer a growing amount of resources.
- You can even ask for help on Stack Overflow using the python-telegram-bot tag.
You may copy, distribute and modify the software provided that modifications are described and licensed for free under LGPL-3. Derivatives works (including modifications or anything statically linked to the library) can only be redistributed under LGPL-3, but applications that use the library don’t have to be.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size python_telegram_bot-13.3-py3-none-any.whl (436.3 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size python-telegram-bot-13.3.tar.gz (299.5 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for python_telegram_bot-13.3-py3-none-any.whl