The official command line client for RIPE Atlas
RIPE Atlas Tools (Magellan)
The official command-line client for RIPE Atlas.
Everything is up on ReadTheDocs
How Does it Work?
Presently, the setup is pretty crude. You can create a ping or traceroute measurement with limited options from the command line:
$ ripe-atlas measure ping --target example.com $ ripe-atlas measure ping --packets 7 --size 42 --target example.com $ ripe-atlas measure traceroute --target example.com $ ripe-atlas measure traceroute --packets 2 --target example.com $ ripe-atlas measure dns --query-argument example.com $ ripe-atlas measure dns --use-probe-resolver --query-type AAAA --query-argument example.com
This will create a one-off measurement and then wait for the results to roll in, formatting them as they do.
You can also use it to connect to a stream of formatted data. This command will start streaming out all of the results from one of our oldest measurements:
$ ripe-atlas stream 1001
Or you can generate a simple report:
$ ripe-atlas report 1001
Configuration is done by way of a config file, and modifying it can be done from the command line:
$ ripe-atlas configure --set authorisation.create=MY_API_KEY
Can I Contribute?
Absolutely. Please read our guide on how to contribute.
This project was code-named by means of a poll. In order to conform to the RIPE Atlas theme, it had to be named for an explorer, and so the winning suggestion was for Magellan, “in memory of those times when RTT was ~3 years”.
2.3.0 (released 2018-11-23)
Features and changes
- Add result date and time to traceroute, NTP and SSL renderers
- Add support for specifying measurement tags on measurement creation
- Add option (–go-web) to open measurement URL in browser
- Nicer presentation of 403 errors from the API
- Official supported Python versions changed to 2.7, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7
- Fix cousteau/sagan dependencies
2.2.3 (released 2017-01-17)
- Fix for distribution issues that prevented the command-line scripts from working
2.2.2 (released 2017-10-12)
Features and changes
- Align various option defaults, minimums and maximums with API reality, including…
- … allow the set of options necessary for “TCP ping” measurements https://labs.ripe.net/Members/wilhelm/measuring-your-web-server-reachability-with-tcp-ping
- Add compact DNS results renderer
- Fix some unicode output issues
2.1 (released 2016-04-21)
- Add a simple NTP renderer
- Use new cousteau (1.4) & sagan(1.2) versions.
- Fix for some unicode problems when using colors
- Fix issue #177, with gdbm problem.
2.0.2 (released 2016-10-21)
- Add aliases to measurements IDs
- Add –traceroute-show-asns to traceroute renderer
- Stream command was not passing the correct API key. After API became stricter this command started failing.
- Handle missing geometry for probes.
- Fix issues for AS-paths with only 1 probe
- Various fixes for tests
2.0.1 (released 2016-04-20)
- Corrected references in the docs to obsolete command names.
- Fixed broken 2.0.0 egg.
2.0.0 (released 2016-04-20)
- Renamed and merged some commands for clarity, preserving the old names as deprecated aliases.
- Improved help text and usage output.
- Support for bash auto-completion.
1.2.3 (released 2016-03-08)
- Usage of newest Cousteau/Sagan library.
- Support of API keys for fetching results on report command.
- Default radius for probes filtering is changed to 15.
- Several changes for supporting Windows.
1.2.2 (released 2016-01-13)
- Cleaner and more consistent implementation of the renderer plugable architecture.
- Usage of newest Cousteau library.
1.2.1 (released 2015-12-15)
- Restored some required template files.
1.2.0 (released 2015-12-15)
1.1.1 (released 2015-11-25)
- #103: Removed header from the report command.
- #105: Measurement report and stream broken on Python3.4.
1.1.0 (released 2015-11-12)
- Support for the creation of NTP, SSLCert, and HTTP measurements.
- Additional argument in report command to filter results by probe ASN.
- Additional renderer that shows the different destination ASNs and some additional stats about them.
- Various fixes.
- Better testing.
- Additional documentation.
1.0.0 (released 2015-11-02)
- Initial release.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size ripe.atlas.tools-2.3.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (99.5 kB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View|
|Filename, size ripe.atlas.tools-2.3.0.tar.gz (103.9 kB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View|
Hashes for ripe.atlas.tools-2.3.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl