Cryptographic library for Python
PyCryptodome is a self-contained Python package of low-level cryptographic primitives.
It supports Python 2.4 or newer, all Python 3 versions and PyPy.
You can install it with a simple:
pip install pycryptodome
PyCryptodome is a fork of PyCrypto. It brings the following enhancements with respect to the last official version of PyCrypto (2.6.1):
- Authenticated encryption modes (GCM, CCM, EAX, SIV, OCB)
- Accelerated AES on Intel platforms via AES-NI
- First class support for PyPy
- Elliptic curves cryptography (NIST P-256 curve only)
- Better and more compact API (nonce and iv attributes for ciphers, automatic generation of random nonces and IVs, simplified CTR cipher mode, and more)
- SHA-3 (including SHAKE XOFs) and BLAKE2 hash algorithms
- Salsa20 and ChaCha20 stream ciphers
- scrypt and HKDF
- Deterministic (EC)DSA
- Password-protected PKCS#8 key containers
- Shamir’s Secret Sharing scheme
- Random numbers get sourced directly from the OS (and not from a CSPRNG in userspace)
- Simplified install process, including better support for Windows
- Cleaner RSA and DSA key generation (largely based on FIPS 186-4)
- Major clean ups and simplification of the code base
PyCryptodome is not a wrapper to a separate C library like OpenSSL. To the largest possible extent, algorithms are implemented in pure Python. Only the pieces that are extremely critical to performance (e.g. block ciphers) are implemented as C extensions.
For more information, see the homepage.
All the code can be downloaded from GitHub.
- 7 Feb 2016 (NEW). Release 3.4.
- Nov 2015. Release 3.3.1.
- 29 Oct 2015. Release 3.3.
- 9 Sep 2015. Minor release 3.2.1.
- 6 Sep 2015. Release 3.2.
- 15 Mar 2015. Release 3.1.
- 24 Jun 2014. Release 3.0.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size & hash SHA256 hash help||File type||Python version||Upload date|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl (7.4 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp27|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp27-cp27m-win_amd64.whl (7.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp27|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp33-none-win32.whl (7.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp33|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp33-none-win_amd64.whl (7.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp33|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp34-cp34m-win32.whl (7.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp34|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp34-cp34m-win_amd64.whl (7.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp34|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp35-cp35m-win32.whl (7.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp35|
|pycryptodome-3.4-cp35-cp35m-win_amd64.whl (7.6 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Wheel||cp35|
|pycryptodome-3.4.tar.gz (6.5 MB) Copy SHA256 hash SHA256||Source||None|