Virtual Python Environment builder
Python bugfix releases 2.6.8, 2.7.3, 3.1.5 and 3.2.3 include a change that will cause “import random” to fail with “cannot import name urandom” on any virtualenv created on a Unix host with an earlier release of Python 2.6/2.7/3.1/3.2, if the underlying system Python is upgraded. This is due to the fact that a virtualenv uses the system Python’s standard library but contains its own copy of the Python interpreter, so an upgrade to the system Python results in a mismatch between the version of the Python interpreter and the version of the standard library. It can be fixed by removing $ENV/bin/python and re-running virtualenv on the same target directory with the upgraded Python.
- Updated setuptools to 3.6
- Updated pip to 1.5.6
- Updated setuptools to 3.4.4
- Updated documentation to use https://virtualenv.pypa.io/
- Updated pip to 1.5.5
- Updated pip to 1.5.4
- Updated setuptools to 2.2
- Updated pip to 1.5.3
- Fixed easy_install installed virtualenvs by updated pip to 1.5.2
- Fixed an issue where pip and setuptools were not getting installed when using the --system-site-packages flag.
- Updated setuptools to fix an issue when installed with easy_install
- Fixed an issue with Python 3.4 and sys.stdout encoding being set to ascii
- Upgraded pip to v1.5.1
- Upgraded setuptools to v2.1
- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Switched to using wheels for the bundled copies of setuptools and pip. Using sdists is no longer supported - users supplying their own versions of pip/setuptools will need to provide wheels.
- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Modified the handling of --extra-search-dirs. This option now works like pip’s --find-links option, in that it adds extra directories to search for compatible wheels for pip and setuptools. The actual wheel selected is chosen based on version and compatibility, using the same algorithm as pip install setuptools.
- Fixed #495, –always-copy was failing (#PR 511)
- Upgraded pip to v1.5
- Upgraded setuptools to v1.4
- New Signing Key Release 1.10.1 is using a different key than normal with fingerprint: 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA
- Upgraded pip to v1.4.1
- Upgraded setuptools to v0.9.8
BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Dropped support for Python 2.5. The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.6.
BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE Using virtualenv.py as an isolated script (i.e. without an associated virtualenv_support directory) is no longer supported for security reasons and will fail with an error.
Along with this, --never-download is now always pinned to True, and is only being maintained in the short term for backward compatibility (Pull #412).
IMPORTANT Switched to the new setuptools (v0.9.7) which has been merged with Distribute again and works for Python 2 and 3 with one codebase. The --distribute and --setuptools options are now no-op.
Updated to pip 1.4.
Added support for PyPy3k
Added the option to use a version number with the -p option to get the system copy of that Python version (Windows only)
Removed embedded ez_setup.py, distribute_setup.py and distribute_from_egg.py files as part of switching to merged setuptools.
Fixed --relocatable to work better on Windows.
Fixed issue with readline on Windows.
- Updated to pip 1.3.1 that fixed a major backward incompatible change of parsing URLs to externally hosted packages that got accidentily included in pip 1.3.
- Unset VIRTUAL_ENV environment variable in deactivate.bat (Pull #364)
- Upgraded distribute to 0.6.34.
- Added --no-setuptools and --no-pip options (Pull #336).
- Fixed Issue #373. virtualenv-1.8.4 was failing in cygwin (Pull #382).
- Fixed Issue #378. virtualenv is now “multiarch” aware on debian/ubuntu (Pull #379).
- Fixed issue with readline module path on pypy and OSX (Pull #374).
- Made 64bit detection compatible with Python 2.5 (Pull #393).
- Updated distribute to 0.6.31. This fixes #359 (numpy install regression) on UTF-8 platforms, and provides a workaround on other platforms: PYTHONIOENCODING=utf8 pip install numpy.
- When installing virtualenv via curl, don’t forget to filter out arguments the distribute setup script won’t understand. Fixes #358.
- Added some more integration tests.
- Removed the unsupported embedded setuptools egg for Python 2.4 to reduce file size.
- Fixed readline on OS X. Thanks minrk
- Updated distribute to 0.6.30 (improves our error reporting, plus new distribute features and fixes). Thanks Gabriel (g2p)
- Added compatibility with multiarch Python (Python 3.3 for example). Added an integration test. Thanks Gabriel (g2p)
- Added ability to install distribute from a user-provided egg, rather than the bundled sdist, for better speed. Thanks Paul Moore.
- Make the creation of lib64 symlink smarter about already-existing symlink, and more explicit about full paths. Fixes #334 and #330. Thanks Jeremy Orem.
- Give lib64 site-dir preference over lib on 64-bit systems, to avoid wrong 32-bit compiles in the venv. Fixes #328. Thanks Damien Nozay.
- Fix a bug with prompt-handling in activate.csh in non-interactive csh shells. Fixes #332. Thanks Benjamin Root for report and patch.
- Make it possible to create a virtualenv from within a Python 3.3. pyvenv. Thanks Chris McDonough for the report.
- Add optional –setuptools option to be able to switch to it in case distribute is the default (like in Debian).
- Updated the included pip version to 1.2.1 to fix regressions introduced there in 1.2.
- Fixed distribute version used with –never-download. Thanks michr for report and patch.
- Fix creating Python 3.3 based virtualenvs by unsetting the __PYVENV_LAUNCHER__ environment variable in subprocesses.
- Dropped support for Python 2.4 The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.5.
- Fix –relocatable on systems that use lib64. Fixes #78. Thanks Branden Rolston.
- Symlink some additional modules under Python 3. Fixes #194. Thanks Vinay Sajip, Ian Clelland, and Stefan Holek for the report.
- Fix --relocatable when a script uses __future__ imports. Thanks Branden Rolston.
- Fix a bug in the config option parser that prevented setting negative options with environemnt variables. Thanks Ralf Schmitt.
- Allow setting --no-site-packages from the config file.
- Use /usr/bin/multiarch-platform if available to figure out the include directory. Thanks for the patch, Mika Laitio.
- Fix install_name_tool replacement to work on Python 3.X.
- Handle paths of users’ site-packages on Mac OS X correctly when changing the prefix.
- Updated the embedded version of distribute to 0.6.28 and pip to 1.2.
- Updated to distribute 0.6.27.
- Fix activate.fish on OS X. Fixes #8. Thanks David Schoonover.
- Create a virtualenv-x.x script with the Python version when installing, so virtualenv for multiple Python versions can be installed to the same script location. Thanks Miki Tebeka.
- Restored ability to create a virtualenv with a path longer than 78 characters, without breaking creation of virtualenvs with non-ASCII paths. Thanks, Bradley Ayers.
- Added ability to create virtualenvs without having installed Apple’s developers tools (using an own implementation of install_name_tool). Thanks Mike Hommey.
- Fixed PyPy and Jython support on Windows. Thanks Konstantin Zemlyak.
- Added pydoc script to ease use. Thanks Marc Abramowitz. Fixes #149.
- Fixed creating a bootstrap script on Python 3. Thanks Raul Leal. Fixes #280.
- Fixed inconsistency when having set the PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE env var with the –distribute option or the VIRTUALENV_USE_DISTRIBUTE env var. VIRTUALENV_USE_DISTRIBUTE is now considered again as a legacy alias.
- Fixed minor issue in –relocatable. Thanks, Cap Petschulat.
- Bumped the version string in virtualenv.py up, too.
- Fixed rST rendering bug of long description.
- Update embedded pip to version 1.1.
- Fix –relocatable under Python 3. Thanks Doug Hellmann.
- Added environ PATH modification to activate_this.py. Thanks Doug Napoleone. Fixes #14.
- Support creating virtualenvs directly from a Python build directory on Windows. Thanks CBWhiz. Fixes #139.
- Use non-recursive symlinks to fix things up for posix_local install scheme. Thanks michr.
- Made activate script available for use with msys and cygwin on Windows. Thanks Greg Haskins, Cliff Xuan, Jonathan Griffin and Doug Napoleone. Fixes #176.
- Fixed creation of virtualenvs on Windows when Python is not installed for all users. Thanks Anatoly Techtonik for report and patch and Doug Napoleone for testing and confirmation. Fixes #87.
- Fixed creation of virtualenvs using -p in installs where some modules that ought to be in the standard library (e.g. readline) are actually installed in site-packages next to virtualenv.py. Thanks Greg Haskins for report and fix. Fixes #167.
- Added activation script for Powershell (signed by Jannis Leidel). Many thanks to Jason R. Coombs.
- Gave user-provided --extra-search-dir priority over default dirs for finding setuptools/distribute (it already had priority for finding pip). Thanks Ethan Jucovy.
- Updated embedded Distribute release to 0.6.24. Thanks Alex Gronholm.
- Made --no-site-packages behavior the default behavior. The --no-site-packages flag is still permitted, but displays a warning when used. Thanks Chris McDonough.
- New flag: --system-site-packages; this flag should be passed to get the previous default global-site-package-including behavior back.
- Added ability to set command options as environment variables and options in a virtualenv.ini file.
- Fixed various encoding related issues with paths. Thanks Gunnlaugur Thor Briem.
- Made virtualenv.py script executable.
- Restored ability to run on Python 2.4, too.
- Restored ability to run on Python < 2.7.
- Updated embedded distribute release to 0.6.19.
- Updated embedded pip release to 1.0.2.
- Fixed #141 - Be smarter about finding pkg_resources when using the non-default Python intepreter (by using the -p option).
- Fixed #112 - Fixed path in docs.
- Fixed #109 - Corrected doctests of a Logger method.
- Fixed #118 - Fixed creating virtualenvs on platforms that use the “posix_local” install scheme, such as Ubuntu with Python 2.7.
- Add missing library to Python 3 virtualenvs (_dummy_thread).
- Start to use git-flow.
- Added support for PyPy 1.5
- Fixed #121 – added sanity-checking of the -p argument. Thanks Paul Nasrat.
- Added progress meter for pip installation as well as setuptools. Thanks Ethan Jucovy.
- Added –never-download and –search-dir options. Thanks Ethan Jucovy.
- Added Python 3 support! Huge thanks to Vinay Sajip and Vitaly Babiy.
- Fixed creation of virtualenvs on Mac OS X when standard library modules (readline) are installed outside the standard library.
- Updated bundled pip to 1.0.
- Moved main repository to Github: https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv
- Transferred primary maintenance from Ian to Jannis Leidel, Carl Meyer and Brian Rosner
- Fixed a few more pypy related bugs.
- Updated bundled pip to 0.8.2.
- Handed project over to new team of maintainers.
- Moved virtualenv to Github at https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv
- Added _weakrefset requirement for Python 2.7.1.
- Fixed Windows regression in 1.5
- Include pip 0.8.1.
- Add support for PyPy.
- Uses a proper temporary dir when installing environment requirements.
- Add --prompt option to be able to override the default prompt prefix.
- Fix an issue with --relocatable on Windows.
- Fix issue with installing the wrong version of distribute.
- Add fish and csh activate scripts.
- Include pip 0.7.2
- Fix for Mac OS X Framework builds that use --universal-archs=intel
- Fix activate_this.py on Windows.
- Allow $PYTHONHOME to be set, so long as you use source bin/activate it will get unset; if you leave it set and do not activate the environment it will still break the environment.
- Include pip 0.7.1
- Include pip 0.7
- Allow activate.sh to skip updating the prompt (by setting $VIRTUAL_ENV_DISABLE_PROMPT).
- Include pip 0.6.3
- Fix activate.bat and deactivate.bat under Windows when PATH contained a parenthesis
- Include pip 0.6.2 and Distribute 0.6.10
- Create the virtualenv script even when Setuptools isn’t installed
- Fix problem with virtualenv --relocate when bin/ has subdirectories (e.g., bin/.svn/); from Alan Franzoni.
- If you set $VIRTUALENV_DISTRIBUTE then virtualenv will use Distribute by default (so you don’t have to remember to use --distribute).
- Include pip 0.6.1
- Fix pip installation on Windows
- Fix use of stand-alone virtualenv.py (and boot scripts)
- Exclude ~/.local (user site-packages) from environments when using --no-site-packages
- Include pip 0.6
- Updated setuptools to 0.6c11
- Added the –distribute option
- Fixed packaging problem of support-files
- Virtualenv now copies the actual embedded Python binary on Mac OS X to fix a hang on Snow Leopard (10.6).
- Fail more gracefully on Windows when win32api is not installed.
- Fix site-packages taking precedent over Jython’s __classpath__ and also specially handle the new __pyclasspath__ entry in sys.path.
- Now copies Jython’s registry file to the virtualenv if it exists.
- Better find libraries when compiling extensions on Windows.
- Create Scripts\pythonw.exe on Windows.
- Added support for the Debian/Ubuntu /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages directory.
- Set distutils.sysconfig.get_config_vars()['LIBDIR'] (based on sys.real_prefix) which is reported to help building on Windows.
- Make deactivate work on ksh
- Fixes for --python: make it work with --relocatable and the symlink created to the exact Python version.
- Use Windows newlines in activate.bat, which has been reported to help when using non-ASCII directory names.
- Fixed compatibility with Jython 2.5b1.
- Added a function virtualenv.install_python for more fine-grained access to what virtualenv.create_environment does.
- Fix a problem with Windows and paths that contain spaces.
- If /path/to/env/.pydistutils.cfg exists (or /path/to/env/pydistutils.cfg on Windows systems) then ignore ~/.pydistutils.cfg and use that other file instead.
- Fix ` a problem <https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualenv/+bug/340050>`_ picking up some .so libraries in /usr/local.
- Remove the [install] prefix = ... setting from the virtualenv distutils.cfg – this has been causing problems for a lot of people, in rather obscure ways.
- If you use a boot script it will attempt to import virtualenv and find a pre-downloaded Setuptools egg using that.
- Added platform-specific paths, like /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/plat-linux2
- Real Python 2.6 compatibility. Backported the Python 2.6 updates to site.py, including user directories (this means older versions of Python will support user directories, whether intended or not).
- Always set [install] prefix in distutils.cfg – previously on some platforms where a system-wide distutils.cfg was present with a prefix setting, packages would be installed globally (usually in /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages).
- Sometimes Cygwin seems to leave .exe off sys.executable; a workaround is added.
- Fix --python option.
- Fixed handling of Jython environments that use a jython-complete.jar.
- Update to Setuptools 0.6c9
- Added an option virtualenv --relocatable EXISTING_ENV, which will make an existing environment “relocatable” – the paths will not be absolute in scripts, .egg-info and .pth files. This may assist in building environments that can be moved and copied. You have to run this after any new packages installed.
- Added bin/activate_this.py, a file you can use like execfile("path_to/activate_this.py", dict(__file__="path_to/activate_this.py")) – this will activate the environment in place, similar to what the mod_wsgi example does.
- For Mac framework builds of Python, the site-packages directory /Library/Python/X.Y/site-packages is added to sys.path, from Andrea Rech.
- Some platform-specific modules in Macs are added to the path now (plat-darwin/, plat-mac/, plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages), from Andrea Rech.
- Fixed a small Bashism in the bin/activate shell script.
- Added __future__ to the list of required modules, for Python 2.3. You’ll still need to backport your own subprocess module.
- Fixed the __classpath__ entry in Jython’s sys.path taking precedent over virtualenv’s libs.
- Added a --python option to select the Python interpreter.
- Add warnings to the modules copied over, for Python 2.6 support.
- Add sets to the module copied over for Python 2.3 (though Python 2.3 still probably doesn’t work).
- Added support for Jython 2.5.
- Added support for Python 2.6.
- Fix a problem with missing DLLs/zlib.pyd on Windows. Create
- bin/python (or bin/python.exe) even when you run virtualenv with an interpreter named, e.g., python2.4
- Fix MacPorts Python
- Added –unzip-setuptools option
- Update to Setuptools 0.6c8
- If the current directory is not writable, run ez_setup.py in /tmp
- Copy or symlink over the include directory so that packages will more consistently compile.
- Fix build on systems that use /usr/lib64, distinct from /usr/lib (specifically CentOS x64).
- Fixed bug in --clear.
- Fixed typos in deactivate.bat.
- Preserve $PYTHONPATH when calling subprocesses.
- Fix include dir copying on Windows (makes compiling possible).
- Include the main lib-tk in the path.
- Patch distutils.sysconfig: get_python_inc and get_python_lib to point to the global locations.
- Install distutils.cfg before Setuptools, so that system customizations of distutils.cfg won’t effect the installation.
- Add bin/pythonX.Y to the virtualenv (in addition to bin/python).
- Fixed an issue with Mac Framework Python builds, and absolute paths (from Ronald Oussoren).
- Improve ability to create a virtualenv from inside a virtualenv.
- Fix a little bug in bin/activate.
- Actually get distutils.cfg to work reliably.
- Added lib-dynload and config to things that need to be copied over in an environment.
- Copy over or symlink the include directory, so that you can build packages that need the C headers.
- Include a distutils package, so you can locally update distutils.cfg (in lib/pythonX.Y/distutils/distutils.cfg).
- Better avoid downloading Setuptools, and hitting PyPI on environment creation.
- Fix a problem creating a lib64/ directory.
- Should work on MacOSX Framework builds (the default Python installations on Mac). Thanks to Ronald Oussoren.
- Windows installs would sometimes give errors about sys.prefix that were inaccurate.
- Slightly prettier output.
- Added support for Windows.
- Give a better warning if you are on an unsupported platform (Mac Framework Pythons, and Windows).
- Give error about running while inside a workingenv.
- Give better error message about Python 2.3.
Fixed packaging of the library.
Initial release. Everything is changed and new!
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.
|Filename, size||File type||Python version||Upload date||Hashes|
|Filename, size virtualenv-1.11.6-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.6 MB)||File type Wheel||Python version py2.py3||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
|Filename, size virtualenv-1.11.6.tar.gz (1.6 MB)||File type Source||Python version None||Upload date||Hashes View hashes|
Hashes for virtualenv-1.11.6-py2.py3-none-any.whl