Powerful and Pythonic XML processing library combining libxml2/libxslt with the ElementTree API.
lxml is a Pythonic, mature binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries. It provides safe and convenient access to these libraries using the ElementTree API.
It extends the ElementTree API significantly to offer support for XPath, RelaxNG, XML Schema, XSLT, C14N and much more.
In case you want to use the current in-development version of lxml, you can get it from the github repository at https://github.com/lxml/lxml . Note that this requires Cython to build the sources, see the build instructions on the project home page. To the same end, running easy_install lxml==dev will install lxml from https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tarball/master#egg=lxml-dev if you have an appropriate version of Cython installed.
After an official release of a new stable series, bug fixes may become available at https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tree/lxml-3.2 . Running easy_install lxml==3.2bugfix will install the unreleased branch state from https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tarball/lxml-3.2#egg=lxml-3.2bugfix as soon as a maintenance branch has been established. Note that this requires Cython to be installed at an appropriate version for the build.
- LP#690319: Leading whitespace could change the behaviour of the string parsing functions in lxml.html.
- LP#599318: The string parsing functions in lxml.html are more robust in the face of uncommon HTML content like framesets or missing body tags. Patch by Stefan Seelmann.
- LP#712941: I/O errors while trying to access files with paths that contain non-ASCII characters could raise UnicodeDecodeError instead of properly reporting the IOError.
- LP#673205: Parsing from in-memory strings disabled network access in the default parser and made subsequent attempts to parse from a URL fail.
- LP#971754: lxml.html.clean appends ‘nofollow’ to ‘rel’ attributes instead of overwriting the current value.
- LP#715687: lxml.html.clean no longer discards scripts that are explicitly allowed by the user provided whitelist. Patch by Christine Koppelt.
Release history Release notifications | RSS feed
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.