Powerful and Pythonic XML processing library combining libxml2/libxslt with the ElementTree API.
lxml is a Pythonic, mature binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries. It provides safe and convenient access to these libraries using the ElementTree API.
It extends the ElementTree API significantly to offer support for XPath, RelaxNG, XML Schema, XSLT, C14N and much more.
In case you want to use the current in-development version of lxml, you can get it from the github repository at https://github.com/lxml/lxml . Note that this requires Cython to build the sources, see the build instructions on the project home page. To the same end, running easy_install lxml==dev will install lxml from https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tarball/master#egg=lxml-dev if you have an appropriate version of Cython installed.
After an official release of a new stable series, bug fixes may become available at https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tree/lxml-3.3 . Running easy_install lxml==3.3bugfix will install the unreleased branch state from https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tarball/lxml-3.3#egg=lxml-3.3bugfix as soon as a maintenance branch has been established. Note that this requires Cython to be installed at an appropriate version for the build.
- The properties resolvers and version, as well as the methods set_element_class_lookup() and makeelement(), were lost from iterparse objects.
- LP#1222132: instances of XMLSchema, Schematron and RelaxNG did not clear their local error_log before running a validation.
- LP#1238500: lxml.doctestcompare mixed up “expected” and “actual” in attribute values.
- Some file I/O tests were failing in MS-Windows due to incorrect temp file usage. Initial patch by Gabi Davar.
- LP#910014: duplicate IDs in a document were not reported by DTD validation.
- LP#1185332: tostring(method="html") did not use HTML serialisation semantics for trailing tail text. Initial patch by Sylvain Viollon.
- LP#1281139: .attrib value of Comments lost its mutation methods in 3.3.0. Even though it is empty and immutable, it should still provide the same interface as that returned for Elements.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.