Powerful and Pythonic XML processing library combining libxml2/libxslt with the ElementTree API.
lxml is a Pythonic, mature binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries. It provides safe and convenient access to these libraries using the ElementTree API.
It extends the ElementTree API significantly to offer support for XPath, RelaxNG, XML Schema, XSLT, C14N and much more.
In case you want to use the current in-development version of lxml, you can get it from the github repository at https://github.com/lxml/lxml . Note that this requires Cython to build the sources, see the build instructions on the project home page. To the same end, running easy_install lxml==dev will install lxml from https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tarball/master#egg=lxml-dev if you have an appropriate version of Cython installed.
After an official release of a new stable series, bug fixes may become available at https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tree/lxml-3.6 . Running easy_install lxml==3.6bugfix will install the unreleased branch state from https://github.com/lxml/lxml/tarball/lxml-3.6#egg=lxml-3.6bugfix as soon as a maintenance branch has been established. Note that this requires Cython to be installed at an appropriate version for the build.
- GH#187: Now supports (only) version 5.x and later of PyPy. Patch by Armin Rigo.
- GH#181: Direct support for .rnc files in RelaxNG() if rnc2rng is installed. Patch by Dirkjan Ochtman.
- GH#189: Static builds honour FTP proxy configurations when downloading the external libs. Patch by Youhei Sakurai.
- GH#186: Soupparser failed to process entities in Python 3.x. Patch by Duncan Morris.
- GH#185: Rare encoding related TypeError on import was fixed. Patch by Petr Demin.
Release history Release notifications
Download the file for your platform. If you're not sure which to choose, learn more about installing packages.